Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 4 with 503 ride

Default Kitfox 4 with 503 ride

Hi all, I got to go for a ride in a Kitfox 4 flying out of Pennsecola, Fl. yesterday. I flew with the same guy once last winter when I was down here in Gulf Shores, Al. It's a real light plane, an XL model. Has a 503 Rotax in it. I was really impressed with the performance of this plane. Between the two of us there was probably 375 lbs in the seats and maybe 8 or 10 gallons of fuel. We were off the ground pretty quick, and the plane cruised at a very good speed. I had my go pro camera with, and will get some video footage up on youtube once I get the micro sd card adaptor to work. Here is a bit from last year's flight. We flew over this same area plus a lot more along the beaches at 100-200 ft. Jim Chuk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkgqb8SrWkA

Default Re: Kitfox 4 with 503 ride

Thanks for the video JimChuk. Its a real testament to the efficiency and versatility of the Kitfox when it can pull two adult males in the air on just 50hp and cruise along that fast. Granted you're al seal level, but still the Kitfox is a real airplane, not just an oversized ultralight.

Think an RV-12 can fly on 50hp? Me neither (don't get me wrong, I love Van's aircraft, just not for my mission or budget).

-Shua

Jim, AWESOME! Hey, could you fly over my place in Navarre and check on it for me?

Kieth, we weren't very far from there. Do you need a house sitter there next winter?? ;-) JImChuk

I own the 1st Avid Flyer (a.k.a.Kitfox). It was a fantastic performer, even though it only had a 40 hp Scorpion snowmobile engine (connected to a home made 3:1 gearbox made from a Ford C3 car transmission). It climbed solo at almost 1500 feet per minute, cruised at 80 mph, and stalled at 22 mph. And when straight floats were bolted on, it had performance similar to a 150 hp Super Cub, even with two grown men and 3 hours of fuel. Of course the empty weight (when on its tri-gear) was only 364 pounds.

Avid later built a 503 powered model that was called the Bandit, and it not only won the takeoff contests at their annual fly ins, but was also the favorite for their factory pilots to fly on floats. It weighed 425 lbs.

At about the same time Kitfox came out with their 503 powered XL model. I always thought both the 503 XL Kitfox and the 503 Avid Bandit were really great little planes, but neither ever became really popular. I'm guessing most buyers that experienced the same models with the 582 or the 912 engine got spoiled real fast with the hot rod qualities of the higher hp options, and opted to spend more for the bigger engines.

But I still think the 503 models were really neat little planes. But then again, I grew up with the early airplanes and knew if you kept them light they would fly as good or better than the later, heavier models with bigger engines. If I didn't already have a Kitfox and I stumbled on a good deal for a 503 powered one, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to own one. In many regards there is a lot to be said for a lightweight and simple airplane that is just a whole bunch of inexpensive fun!