Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: False rib repair

Default False rib repair

We are finishing a 1994 vintage Model 4-1200. Wings are at pre-cover stage. The aft end of two false ribs are broken just aft of the stringer. We have extra false ribs. Could we scab part of a new rib beside the broken rib? Glue ,screw, rivet ? Would hate to replace whole false rib. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: False rib repair

You could. Ive broken two but I have the piece so I was able to just Hysol it back in its proper place. Your going to be able to see the misalignment when the fabric goes on. If the false rib turns in to the wing as the ones I have do the rib will leave the fabric soon after the segment that will be jogged over. You'll see it but maybe others won't. Honestly, a dremel tool with an appropriate bit will make short work of removing the original false rib. Easy, Easy to replace.

If you are going to repair a wooden aircraft part and expect any durability from it you need to use a scarf joint. There are several methods to do this some are easier than others. If you have a spare, it would be best to just replace it. Cut the old one out without cutting into the stringer then neatly cut out the remaining parts of the old rib. Glue the new part in, seal it and be done!
    If you want to practice scarf joints, a 10:1 or 12:1 ratio is what is typically required for aircraft parts. i.e. if the part is 1/8" thick the taper needs to be 10 x 1/8 or 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" if using a 12:1 ratio.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Use Ã* heat gun to melt the glue and remove the broken rib clean and replace it..be carefull with tools to damage,scratch the aluminum Spar..

Thanks for the replies. I have removed the broken false ribs and replaced with new. A new experience working with Hysol. My heat gun on low is way too hot to work near wood but does soften the adhesive making removal easier. After learning to cut back the mixing nozzle on the 50 ml tube to a larger size made the application easier.