Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Annual.

Default First Annual.

I have just completed my first Annual on RMQ. 200hr in service. I have the 912isSport and Airmaster propWith 75" blades. I experienced a slight increase in vibration so decided to send the gearbox off to Rotax to have it checked - result was that there was a need to replace gear set and dog hub that were worn on ramps. No cause suggested by Rotax - said that the 75" WW blades might contribute. I am talking with Airmaster about that now and will be interested in their opinion.
    Only other item needing attention was the radiator that developed a slow leak - although I have had it repaired, I bought a new one and kept the old one as a spare.

All set now for another year of adventures!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: First Annual.

Way to go Ross! 200 hours is a very good chunk of time for the first year.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default First flight after Annual

One the locals with a good camera took a few shots of my test flight after the annual - nice quality, but I doubt the Kitfox would be able to take off with the weight of that lens he used!!

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Two hundred hours in 12 months ... We should all be so lucky. Well done !!. Hope you can get to the bottom of the gearbox and/or prop issue. Anyone else have the same prop fitted to the same engine ?
    David
    SS7 Builder

I had a warp drive prop on my 80 hp 912UL. The gearbox was bad and needed new dog gear and drive gears at 145 hours. They don't like heavier props it seems

Hey Ross,
    Can you tell me the size of your tires. To me, those look like the right size tire if one flies without wheel pants. Im not sure I will go without wheel pants myself but I would want your tires if I elect to go without.
    Eddie

Hi Eddie,

the tyres are 26" Alaskan Bushwheels. They are fairly common on the Kitfox and I like them. Be warned though, they are expensive and they don't like sealed runways. So if you cant land on grass or gravel mostly, I would think twice. They ave been great on rough off strip landings and particularly excellent on beaches! I reckon it could be worth comparing them with the Dresser tires - I will be when they wear out!

cheers
    r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Thanks Ross. I am familiar with how expensive those are. I do have access to grass at Corona Airport where I will be based but I bet the majority of my out of area landings will be paved. Southern California beaches are not likely available to land on as much as I would love that. I guess I may spend that money on Bose A20's.
    Eddie

I have the whirlwind three blade Rz , which is very light, and and I have had the gearbox back to Rotax three times. I am currently up to 50 hrs on the last overhaul.

Rossir, I sent you a email through thr Rotax forum.

Just curious. For you guys that have had wear issues in your gearboxes: What were the symptoms? (Besides vibration in Rossir's case) Did metal show up on the magnetic plug? Are you running Aeroshell Sport+4? Your plane looks great, Ross in all that down under sunshine! I got to fly with Scott yesterday in his plane. The snow flies again here today.....Happy holidays, all!