Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Corvair in a Kitfox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

Cool.
    Learn something daily!!

Default Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

Ok guys back on topic. I have some progress on the meat and potatoes part of this thread. Joe installed the baffling a few days ago and some more progress tonight. This baffling was built by Jim weseman out in Florida for the kitfox. This is the first time it will be used. He normally builds the baffling and cowls for the Zenith 601 and other corvair sheet metal. He used a mockup and a donor cowl for the fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtcicon; 12-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Next was the oil cooler install. This is built into the baffle kit and is designed for the Niagra 200 cooler. To help with orientation the motor is on its nose and the rear of the engine is up.

Next is the installation of the motor. From the best I can tell the motor fits without a prop extension. This may not be true in the case of the later model kitfoxes. I understand the nose is longer there so this may require a 4" extension. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can take over and correct me on that part.

The exhaust was custom built using a mockup as well. I really feel it was worth it. The muffs will be installed a bit later. Notice the intake is installed as well.

Carb install appears to be a bit tricky. Mixture lever clearance is close but works freely. The location is farther aft than the O200 design. We will be crossing the cowling issue in a while. Cable hookup will be key so I'll make sure to get pics when I can.

Great pictures! Keep em coming.

Your getting closer to getting your bird back in the air. I'll be interested to hear how she flies.

Bob

Any progress on your Corvair in a Kitfox?? The last post here was in 2016. Also, what model Kitfox are you working with?

Thanks,
    Steamer

Not much progress, we relocated, to mccall Idaho. But I did find a vary clean engine to work with when the time comes. As for the model I call myself Fox Pass reneck pronouncing of Faux Pas😆 I’m actually scratch building a zenith 750. Funny now I’m in kit fox neighbor hood. Lots of kit foxes fly into mccall only seen one zenith.😕. This forum is absolutely great, much better then zenith for these types of discussions.
    thanks James