Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Corvair in a Kitfox

Default Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

The exhaust was custom built using a mockup as well. I really feel it was worth it. The muffs will be installed a bit later. Notice the intake is installed as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb install appears to be a bit tricky. Mixture lever clearance is close but works freely. The location is farther aft than the O200 design. We will be crossing the cowling issue in a while. Cable hookup will be key so I'll make sure to get pics when I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great pictures! Keep em coming.

Your getting closer to getting your bird back in the air. I'll be interested to hear how she flies.

Bob

Hi mtcicon

I have looked at the Corvair and your project with great interest. I have a question. At the beginning of this thread back in 2016 you had stated a cost of $13K to $14K for this engine option. Would you be willing to elaborate with some details as to how that came out? What did this include and was that close to accurate? It really would be helpful and interesting to know a little detail on the project cost for this install.

Thanks,
    Joe

Me again,
    I should have stated that my brother and I have just started building a Kitfox 5 project that we picked up last October and have not decided on an engine yet and have always been interested in the Corvair option. We have gone to the WW Corvair seminars at EAA in Oshkosh several times. We are lucky and live within a 20 minute drive.
    The kit we purchased was originally sold in May of 1994 and the original owner never started the project. Because of the age we are in need of a few things we want to upgrade. This forum is a huge help for info. We now know that the old fiberglass tanks will need to be replaced with new ones unless someone out there has tanks that will work with ethanol.
    We are also interested in upgrading to a Bush gear setup.
    So anyone please feel free to PM me with anything you have that we might be interested in, used or new. (Engines, bubble doors, bush gear, turtle deck, windshield, interior, panel)

Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox5 View Post
    Hi mtcicon

I have looked at the Corvair and your project with great interest. I have a question. At the beginning of this thread back in 2016 you had stated a cost of $13K to $14K for this engine option...Thanks,
    Joe
    Hi joe. i can say how it went for me. First I found a donor engine for about 350.00. It would have to be disassembled and cleaned and the useable parts sent off for inspection and machine work. I was opting for the larger engine so mine would have to have case work done. Also headstand crank. Time would have been about 9 months. Before I started taking the engine apart I found an engine on barnstormers that had the work completed ready for assembly for 5,000. So I bought it and all the other parts to finish it. All totaled the cost was around 15k for parts only. After that it takes time to assemble.

I have some news today. I finally got the plane out of storage after the first attempted run and worked on the carburetor. It was the only old part on the engine. (15 years). It started and ran great. I did not have a plenum so I shut it down quickly. I am working on a scoop tonight and hopefully will have a run video tomorrow.

Any progress on your Corvair in a Kitfox?? The last post here was in 2016. Also, what model Kitfox are you working with?

Thanks,
    Steamer

Not much progress, we relocated, to mccall Idaho. But I did find a vary clean engine to work with when the time comes. As for the model I call myself Fox Pass reneck pronouncing of Faux Pas😆 I’m actually scratch building a zenith 750. Funny now I’m in kit fox neighbor hood. Lots of kit foxes fly into mccall only seen one zenith.😕. This forum is absolutely great, much better then zenith for these types of discussions.
    thanks James

Looking great. I am picking up a Corvair motor today for my project. I will be following your progress

Thanks for sharing