Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 missing exhaust manifold bolts?

Default 582 missing exhaust manifold bolts?

I was in the early stages of reinstalling the exhaust on my IV with a 582 when I came up short two bolts. I ran home to check my pre-teardown photos and saw I was missing two to begin with. Is this common due to the bends in the tubes being so close to the mount flanges? I work at a turbo shop and I've seen some almost impossible mounts before.

Default Re: 582 missing exhaust manifold bolts?

About the only easy way to get them in is to install them first, tightening them one after the other part way at a time, then the others after the manifold is snug with the cylinders. I think the 532 just used 2 bolts on each side, and they seem to hold the same manifold on okey. JImChuk

I have had a couple of 582s where the manifolds are held with studs and nuts. Nuts are put on the studs to hold the manifold in place. Then bolts on the easy access holes. If the heads are true and the manifold is flat, with new gaskets, two bolts can do the trick.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

My 582 had three studs, lockwashers and nuts. I added an additional slightly shorter stud and nut on each side.

Mine doesn't have those bolts. I tried studs but couldn't get a nut on either due to clearances. 200 hours and no leaks running with just the three bolts.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Good, so I'm not the only one! I grabbed a couple different length studs from work and I'll see if I can get one to fit. I was surprised that none of the bolts were drilled and safety wired. Is that normal?

I got that wrong. I have three bolts (not studs) and added a stud with nut where there was nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images