Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: airplane floats

Default airplane floats

Ok guys what is the best floats to mount on a Model 4 KF just got 2nd plane and I,m looking to install a set of floats ?? oh sorry 912 100 hp motor

Default Re: airplane floats

Great airframe/engine combo for floats. Look at Zenair 1450's. Paul, our resident float go-to guy, has discussed these and other floats in many previous posts.
    Maybe hit the search function for much good reading.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Paging Av8rPS.

Paul, do you read?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I did quite a bit of research on this as well and after talking with Zenair I've pretty much decided on the 1150A. Amphibious floats are a must for me.

The 1450 floats are pretty big and heavy on a IV.

Depending on how you will use them, you might want to have a look at the Full Lotus floats as well.

Thanks guys for the help on the floats. Do you guys have them on your plane ?? and what are the pro and con of them?? ie do they leak after time in water, how do the handle on the ground just a few questions

The 1450 Zenair is much larger than needed on a Model 4.

But the 1150 to the 1250 size Zenair amphib float is a great float on the 4. (It is essentially same float as 1450, just smaller) They handle very nicely on the pavement (and can handle smooth grass strips). If properly assembled they don't leak any more than any other float. Poorly assembled ones will usually leak bad.

Pros: inexpensive, lightweight, good water performance and handling.

Cons: nosewheel forks canl bend easily if not careful, no storage compartments for stuff, big project to build, if buying factory built watch the quaity.

I've flown the Zenair amphibs a lot and feel they are a good amphib float overall, with only minimal compromises. For the $, the best choice. Unfortunately, the Model 4 is a size that most of the other LSA floats are just too big for, so in reality choices are minimal.

Paul

(I fly a 912 Model 4-1200 on Aerocet 1100 amphibs)
    Last edited by av8rps; 09-21-2016 at 06:28 PM.

If you'd like to learn about experiences of a friend of mine that put some 1450 zenairs on his Highlander, read this recent thread from the Highlander forum. It will probably answer a lot of questions.

http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?...776bf86c49ef28

(FYI: the Highlander needs the 1450 vs the 1150/1250 because it has a much higher gross)

How ironic we are having this discussion...

my friend in Canada with the Highlander on Zenair 1450 amphibs just sent me his Chapter Newsletter (that he is the editor of) and in it he has a full page write up on his Zenairs, with tips, tricks, recommended improvements and VIDEOS! Oh, and he shows how he lands those floats in a farm field that's not even an airstrip! So for anyone wondering, the Zenairs are very capable if you are willing to push them to the limits...

Check it all out here;

http://kwraa.weebly.com/uploads/4/3/...ember_2016.pdf

(Yes, I know he is flying 1450 Zenair amphibs - but as I said earlier they are just a slightly larger version of the 1150 Zenair Amphib.)
    Last edited by av8rps; 09-22-2016 at 01:11 PM.