Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build a Kentucky grass runway

Default How to build a Kentucky grass runway

Folks, I have a pasture where I've mowed a 1,400' runway. It has about a 4 degree down slope. I tend to take off downhill and land uphill unless the winds are really blowing.
    It is rolling land with very little flat but it is fairly smooth. I have runway envy though and I see some of the places you all fly and I want to pretty mine up a bit.
    I'm thinking that disking it a lot, then dragging it with a stretch of old chainlink fence and then seeding it. I'm just now sure what seed to use. Right now it's a mix of fescue, timothy, iron weed, white clover, butteryfly weed, bluegrass, etc.

Any experience in building a beautiful runway? Please post a picture or two as well. There's nothing prettier in my opinion, than a beautiful grass runway with a tail dragger sitting on it!
    Bob & Debbie
    KF IV N1670B
    Campbellsburg, Kentucky

Default Re: How to build a Kentucky grass runway

I just finished the ground work for my runway. It was recommended to me, by the local soils agency. To go on the MDT Aeronautics Division Website. Airstrip Turf Development. They recommend Sodar Streambank Wheatgrass or Sheep Fescue. MDT is the Montana Division of Transportation, these two seeds are what they use on there turf runways, With good results. I live in north central Idaho and we have similar climate. I went with Sodar streambank Wheatgrass ,after talking with Clearwater Seed they highly recommended it. There office is in Spokane WA. Ph 509 345 3108 Very helpful. They will ship seed to you.
    Hope this helps. John

Soils vary quite a bit by region, as does what grows best based on climate. I'd talk to the local people at your U of K extension and maybe also have them do a soil test. Pretty simple process. Go here: http://extension.ca.uky.edu/county

Greg

I wonder how those grasses would handle the heat in Kentucky.
    Bob & Debbie
    KF IV N1670B
    Campbellsburg, Kentucky

Hi, for my runway (1800'x90') a Farmer with his big tractor plow and make two ditch in same time,after i work the earth with 39' rail from railway,i weld to Big chain on it i work with it at 45 degree, like that i fill a lot of big dépression.
    After i put ''B'' mixture.. I wait one summer without cutting the grass.now i need to roll with heavy roller to remove all small bumb... Good luck

I built a 100 by 1200 foot runway a few years back on my farm. The best advise I have for you is to take what ever time and labor you have and get it as smooth as possible. It took 3 of us 6 long days to move dirt, level, roll, stone rake and hand rake. After seeding we did not use it for 3 months. We seeded in early May here is Pa. The next year we rented a vibratory roller to smooth out the winters freeze and thaw. We still roll the airfield every spring with a field roller we made that we pull behind a tractor.
    Good luck it's hard work but worth it in the end.

Jim

About 8 years ago my father and I built my runway. I needed a large amount
    Of fill dirt so I enlarged my pond using an old crane and large dump truck.
    Once the fill was in place,we used two bulldozers to level it out. For final
    Grade I built a pull behind grader of sorts. I used an old boat trailer,moved the
    Axle all the way back,then mounted an adjustable 20"x8"x20' I beam.
    I could adjust the front lip of the beam up and down to cut the humps
    out as needed. Worked great. In this area we have clay and stones.
    Mean stuff to do anything with! Also used the grader to push the stones to the sides for easier picking.
    Took 3 to 4 years to get nice grass on it. Lots of work but worth it!

I added about 500' to my existing runway last summer. Here are some of the tools I used. D-6 cat, 40' log trailer flipped upsidedown, with 3 16' channels welded to the (then) bottom, pulled with the D-6, and a home made grader. It's about 26' from the hitch to the center of the wheels, it's mostly made from a truck frame. The cutter blade is about 9' long channel cut from a truck frame. I pulled the grader with my 50 HP Kabota tractor. Raised and lowered the hitch to adjust the cut of the grader. Used it for the final grading after pulling the log trailer with the cat. Moved lots of dirt with the cat beforehand in very hard MN clay. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

As already mentioned, the most suitable type of ground cover will best be determined with help from local sources. As for ground prep, a lot depends on what you are starting with. However, when it is time to seed, if at all possible use a Brillion or Brillion type drill (seeder). It will do the best job of giving the grass seed good ground contact while smoothing and packing the surface. It will also break up small clods and help push down small rocks.

I moved from California to Indiana when my mother in laws husband died in his Bonanza here. I now take care of the 1800' x 100' strip. Still working on the Kitfox. But the grass here is a very wide leafed, coarse, and fast growing grass for the most part. They did a lot of work getting the runway back in shape after they bought the place in '97. Including rolling it with a big asphalt roller. It's still pretty smooth. I have had a couple visitors fly in with no complaints. If you want to fly/drive up from KY and get a taste of mowing a runway, I'll turn you loose with a mower.
    Google:
    Newby Landing
    36II