Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Some random thoughts...

Default Some random thoughts...

First of all, I don't post on here very often. I do look at the website all the time, but unless I can help someone or I need something I just don't seem to post. I have only been flying since 2008, started with the usual Cessna 150 and progressed to a Mooney, found I was pretty much doing only local flights and was getting pretty tired of the maintenance costs. So long story short, I posted on here about going low and slow, got some really good advice, and jumped in with both feet.

My first foray into the experimental world was not a easy one, and I will openly admit that for quite a long time I felt I made a huge mistake(My plane had runnability issues). I don't know how it is in other aviation communities, but around here the second you mention "Rotax" or "experimental" to the local A & P I just got a blank stare. I finally ran out of ideas one day and called the factory looking for help. John McBean took the time to help me out, and even though it did not solve the problem he took the time to follow up and point me in the right direction.

Fast forward to today. Specifically this weekend. My buddy David and I decide last minute to go to the Kitfox Fly in. We had a blast flying over to Ryan Field, Shaeffer, and Meadowcreek. At Meadowcreek at take off I could not get full power so I aborted. The first people to stop and help was John and Debra McBean. For those of you who have not been there, 0S1(Meadowcreek) is a really cool field with a couple of exceptions. The only way in is by a hiking trail, or by air. It is also very remote, with tall trees on all sides and a cliff on one end. So flying a poorly running Kitfox out of there was not a option. Option #2 was lifting by Helicopter, at about a cost of 10K!!!

We were unsuccessful in fixing it- so I hopped in with David and we went home. We had tried everything, plugs, carbs, fuel pump, etc. We had even checked the lifters to no avail. Needless to say I was a little dejected that night.

OK Scott, you might say- why are you boring me with this story? Well, most people in my experience will try and help, but if they are not successful, well we tried right? Not my problem. At least in my experience. If you break down in your Ford does Mr. Ford come out and help you try to fix it? Pretty sure that does not happen(if it does you must be in a way better tax bracket than I am) Well Mr. Kitfox himself did go way out of his way to help me, put me in touch with a bunch of people, even help me source the right carbs to try out(Thank you Jay White!!!) And the organizer of the Montana Fly in Jeff Joerns even flew overwatch and put us up for the night.(Thank you Jeff and Kathy!!!) And a huge thank you to David Sledge- without him I would still be there!!!!

So for anyone out there that is wondering about building, buying or flying a Kitfox Aircraft- this is proof positive that there is no better factory support out there. And I want to personally thank everyone on TKF- I have gotten a ton of advice off of this board, and made a lot of really good friends.

Scott

P.S. If you are doing any mountain flying make sure you have tools, water, some snacks, a sleeping bag and a gun. It gets pretty lonely out there without this stuff, ask me how I know

Default Re: Some random thoughts...

Thanks for sharing this Scott, it is nice to know there are good folks around in this community within Kitfox

Excellent writeup Scott.

I was also very impressed with the group of people that were at the Ryan fly-in last weekend. It seemed all of us wanted to stay and help you, but it didn't seem prudent to have another 4+ planes there so the rest of us continued back to Ryan airfield. Even when we got there most of us were ready to go back to Meadowcreek and help if we could. After John got back he was on the phone trying to get help and answers for your problem. Indeed, what a great group of people, especially John and Deb McBean.

BTW it isn't clear, did you get your plane fixed? Did another set of carbs get it going?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Excellent writeup Scott.

I was also very impressed with the group of people that were at the Ryan fly-in last weekend. It seemed all of us wanted to stay and help you, but it didn't seem prudent to have another 4+ planes there so the rest of us continued back to Ryan airfield. Even when we got there most of us were ready to go back to Meadowcreek and help if we could. After John got back he was on the phone trying to get help and answers for your problem. Indeed, what a great group of people, especially John and Deb McBean.

BTW it isn't clear, did you get your plane fixed? Did another set of carbs get it going?
    Yes, we got it fixed. The original problem was it would not rev past 4000 rpm. It was smooth from idle to 4000, mag check at 4000 was within 50 both sides, but as soon as you throttled past 4000 it would run rough. We cleaned the jets, checked floats, changed fuel pumps, checked regulator, crossover, plugs, lifters all with no result. So when we went back the next day we had a fuel pressure gauge, spare known good carb set, spare cdi's(thank you Stan Inzer) and a lot more tools. Swapped the carbs and problem went away. When I got home I did a autopsy on the carbs, turns out it was the diaphragm. Kind of nice to find the smoking gun as it was driving us crazy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott
    Glad you posted , been wondering if you made it out of there. What was the problem?
    I agree with Phil, great weekend with a great people. I'm ready to do it again, but I don't think Jeff and Kathy are ready to host another one this soon. They did a great job.
    John

That's funny I was posting the same time you was. Glad you found the problem.
    John

Scott, I had no idea you had trouble over there. I thought with pics of the trip all went fine and you made it back ok. Crazy when you finally find the problem, what it ends up being. glad you got it fixed and above all, got your plane back home.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop