Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Factory tour and demo flight report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Factory tour and demo flight report

Thanks! (just noticed the spell checker turned "flaperon" to "flatiron"... oops)

Badger,
    I also think your write up is excellent with maybe one clarification. Although the Homedale location may save some money (I really don't know if it does or doesn't), my guess is the primary reason the Kitfox factory is located there is because that is where the McBeans love to live. It is a beautiful valley!! Who wouldn't enjoy living there?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Good point! John did also mention he's from that area. I was referring more to the airport itself as being modest.

I enjoyed your write up as well. I did the same thing last November. Interesting thing is, I flew the black and yellow aircraft that they used to do much of the engine testing. The same one on their website with the Rotac (N12KA). I want that one but that was the heaviest engine they have installed according to John.. I flew the Rotax 912is. You mentioned the trim being slow but on N12KA the trim was really quick. You had to just bump the button. If you pushed and held it then it would overshoot. I wonder what the difference would be? I don't think I would mind either way. I can see benefits to both.
    Eddie

I'm not sure why the difference, but I think electric trim is always a bit of a compromise. In the RV I just tap the trim button in cruise to avoid overcorrecting, but in the pattern it seems rather slow. There's an RV aftermarket solution the actually lets you adjust the trim speed, but I've never thought it was a problem. You quickly adjust to whatever system you have.

Nice write up badger

There is an option for the trim motor to go slower over 80mph I think it. Some people were finding it too quick at speed so it was an option that was introduced. I have a feeling that you two were in planes with two different set ups.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

John's Kitfox has the trim speed reducer option. An airspeed sensing switch will reduce trimspeed above 80 mph for finer control at cruise speeds. It then disengages at lower pattern speeds for quicker trim movements which is where you need the faster trim responses. Neet option. The airspeed that the switch reacts to is adjustable if I recall correctly.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear