Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tail wheel shimmy

Default Re: Tail wheel shimmy

Had the same problem with my SS7. Tightened up the main pivot nuts on the tailwheel, problem solved. Be sure to grease the pivot bolt grease fitting also.

Dick B

I had shimmy on my maul tailwheel, but when I went to the pneumatic wheel the shimmy went away. Also had a shimmy when I had a heavy cargo bag on the J-3. Lighter load, less shimmy.

Update- tightened the nut a quarter turn, regreased the bearing and problem solved. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. Thanks again for all the help!

Scott

Hey, can we get an update from those that have switched to the grove aluminum tailwheel spring since it's been a year since these posts.
    Are you still happy and the shimmy monster is still at bay?

After over 2 years with the 3 leaf spring, I just had my first experience with a severe shimmy and I didn't like it much. Thanks to the posts on this forum, I checked the pivot angle and sure enough I have negative caster when loaded down. Looks like the grove spring may be the answer.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Thumbs up Re: Tail wheel shimmy

I have not had any shimmy problems since upgrading to the Grove aluminum spring. That was about 75 hours ago when I installed it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I am also happy with the Grove spring; it took care of my shimmy problems. It also helps to check and maybe tighten that nut once in a while.

I started with the 3 leaf spring and it was fine for about 2 years; then shimmy started showing up and seemed to get worse and worse. As John said, the caster angle had slowly changed, probably from a few hard landings/rough runways over the years. The Grove spring seems to hold its shape better. I think the factory should change the 3 leaf spring to give it 5-10 degrees more bend in order to allow for some settling especially with heavy loads over time. In my opinion, the Grove spring could also use about 5 degrees more bend. The way they are now is just too close to the proper caster angle. I know of no downside to a little more than enough caster angle.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the updates.
    Looks like I'll be giving Kitfox a call today and lightening the old wallet.

I operate off of a grass strip so the old tail spring has gotten a good workout and has apparently decided to relax a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I snugged up the steering chains yesterday and will snug up the pivot nut today. Maybe that will get me through until the new spring gets here.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch