Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 103 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1196

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

It is a fun trip. We only had life jackets. The airport has had a new runway, concrete, built that opened last year. I read on their website that they allow camping under wing but I haven't been able to determine what they have available, if anything, to accomodate camping. They say that they have scheduled fly ins once a month on a Saturday. Landing fee exists though, $35. I'll be figuring it all out for sure. LA area airspace is intimidating to me and having been out of the pilot seat for over 25 years I have to do a fair amount of preparation and study to ensure I don't get into trouble. As it turned out, it was a simple, Direct, flight using SoCal Approach for flight following.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Great read Eddie!

Brought back memories of a flight from Brown field (SDM) to Catalina in the early 90's in my piper PA-38 Tomahawk. On the way into town on the shuttle I overheard another pilot mentioning the questionable individual who flew a single engine trauma-hawk over water to get there.
    I piped right up and said "Yup, that would be me!"
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Ah, the beloved Tomahawk. By whom, I don't know but I flew all my cross country time for my commercial license in one. Until I flew my Kitfox to just shy of 18000ft, it was that tomahawk that had taken me to my highest altitude I had flown an airplane. It was only able to get to 12000ft as I flew from Yuma to Phx. AZ. I still recall the view from there.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

This is a frequently flown route by me. Just video, no comentary. This was flown after work this past Monday. Im off work for three weeks as of today so I hope to go see some stuff in the plane. General Patton museum is high on the list. I hope to camp at Oceano airport along Pismo beach. And Certainly, Catalina Island is going to be visited.
    https://youtu.be/xI8otCJ0oZ4
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. Can hardly wait to get the fox up in the air. Beautiful sunset. I did my flight training in a Tomahawk years ago.
    Starfox

Nice, Eddie!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Enjoyed the flight! Thanks.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

My plane turned 200 today! Hrs of course. Finished up my 2nd 100hr engine inspection/service today then went out for the turn of 200hrs. Fun Stuff. First flight was 15 months ago. I reflect back when DessertFox1 told be he flew his first plane about 300hrs in the first 12 months!. That's a bit of flying if you ask me.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Okay, it wasn't a remote, backcountry strip but I got my first tent camping trip in this past weekend. A 162 mile trip to the semi, central coast of CA. Pismo Beach airport, right on the coast, has a small camping site only open to those who fly in. Covid 19 has the two campgrounds outside the airport nearly closed down entirely. They are only available to those who live within the county. Enough about that. We stopped at Agua Dulce airport enroute to the coast for a short break. I guess they shoot a lot of movie footage at this location. I had previously seen this airport a couple of months ago, from the air. It looked like a really neat airport from there so I made it a stop intentionally. Pretty neat little place. Friendly folk there. One guy has built three airplanes and a helicopter. A little bumpy going over the mountains but we had to fly mid day in order to get into Pismo Beach after the marine layer moved out. Next to Flabob airport, home of EAA chapter one, this little strip at Pismo Beach was the smallest one I have taken the plane. I'll post a video later of my botched landing. I need to edit out my language first I think unless Dave and or Steve allow colorful content. You know, the reallity of piloting. Its just one four letter word, very commonly used, but also might be the pinnacle of profanity. Anyhow, once secure at the tiedown, we claimed our spot and headed to the sand. A little wine and cheese, while the sun set, had the girlfriend greatful she was able to endure the long ride without getting air sick that she is prone too. In the morning we got to relax at the beach to wait for the marine layer to lift then we made our departure. We had planned to make a non stop trek back home but she asked if we could stop at Camarillo because someone told us about it. Ive driven by this airport and have always wanted to go to their fly in which seems to turn out a lot of people. Well, it was not a disappointment let me tell you. Im going back for sure. I don't know why Camarillo is so active with everything but commercial air traffic but man does it seem to have a lot of support from the community. Corporate Jets to ultralights. The Cafe and its property had me feeling like I was at some kind of resort. After that it was time to head home. 5500 ft across the LA basin turned out to be simple. So pleased with my weekend in my "Midlife Crisis".
    Pics: Agua Dolce, Camp site, Dunes x3, Restaurant (bkfst), Camarillo, Pasadena and LA California.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Really nice, Eddie! It looks like a lot of fun.

Those kind of words just have to come out sometimes... believe me, I know the feeling, and my wife can testify to the experience, many times!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime