Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 75 of 120 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Good goin' Eddie! From your previous pictures it does look real good... the tower's right!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Copperstate Fly In was pretty cool. Got to visit with Desert Fox 4 again, always a pleasure. Met Fred, a fellow Kitfox builder as well as another Kitfox guy who was manning the AeroLeds booth. Uhg, I think it was Mike, sorry. I think one of the highlights for me was seeing a very unusual bird designed my Burt Rutan, a Variviggen. He has designed so many airplanes that I always enjoy seeing one when I get the chance. Another thing I was thankful to be able to do is to get my brother a ride in a 1929 Travelair. He loves airplanes as much as I but just doesn't have the exposure I have. Very nice weekend. Next one will be in my own Kitfox!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I got my prop balanced today. It took longer than I thought because I had no idea how much my washers weigh. My scale went tits up on me. Started off with far too little weight. Long story short, I went from .96 ips to .12 ips. I didn't think I had much vibration until I got it to .12. Noticeably better after the job was done. Im glad I ran out of time before I had to leave for work because I probably would have tried to get it below .12 and likely would have gone crazy. The instructions warn of the difficulty of getting better than .10 ips. The drawback is, unsightly, large diameter washers were required to get the results. The DynaVibe moves on tomorrow to Oregon. I understand Brian will get it after that.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Good results, Eddie. Feel noticably different?

Who's getting it next, so I can follow up with them if necessary? I'm hoping to have it a week from Saturday.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I got my transponder software loaded today and got it installed. It seems to work now. Hopefully it won't be raining this weekend. If it's dry I will get to calibrate the magnetometer which is the last thing I need to accomplish before finishing the wax on the Oratex. Won't be long now. Trip to Stick and Rudder mid March I hope.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I found with the Dynon magnetometer no ground adjustment was needed. I lined the aircraft up on the four cardinal headings and the EFIS headings looked pretty close so I didn't touch it. When I got airbourne I did the in-flight calibration and got a very, very high 'confidence' number from the machine. The headings correspond exactly with the runway etc.

I would suggest if your headings are pretty close then you might be able to save yourself a lot of mucking around on the ground. The airbourne calibration is very easy (on the Dynon and I would have thought the same with Garmin), just press a couple of buttons and fly a bunch of circles, figure of eights etc and let the magic box do its own thing.

Hi Paul.
    Problem is, Garmin has it so that there are big bold yellow text on the middle of my EFIS that say "Magnetometer Not Calibrated". I have to do the compass rose thing. Every 30 degrees. Then I have to do a test that is about 10 minutes in duration to verify that each of my individual electronic devices does not cause any error. Could get interesting because I have lights very near my magnetometer. Crossing fingers that it all works out or I will be having to relocate the Magnetometer.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I found that doing the Garmin magnetometer calibration and interference checks were very easy compared to other compass swings I have done before. Once you position your plane to north the Garmin program will walk you through the rest of the compass swing. Once I started the engine I think I was done in 5 minutes.

When I did the interference test my LED landing lights were causing a problem with the magnetometer. Fortunately all I had to do was reposition the landing light wiring farther away from the magnetometer and everything was OK.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Work and Vacation in the way for it to be done any sooner but I have scheduled my DAR for March 16th. I took delivery of my kit March 12th 2016. I waxed the plane yesterday and I got my avionics up and running as well. So.... I am calling it finished. Now I get to remove all the inspection access and ready it for the DAR.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Congrats Eddie on the completion of your build. 😀Hopefully paperwork and weather will allow first flight soon.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear