Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 117 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1196

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Just a lot of orbital sanding will get you this finish Jim. Even after all the time I spent I still have swirl from the manufacturer. I couldn't see the swirl until you get to the polishing grits. It's too late to start over at that point unless your looking for trophies.
    Dave, Halfway might be uneccessary. I aim to make it to Phx soon as I need to retrieve my camping gear from my mom in Surprise. She brought it home from Oshkosh since they were wanting as much to ship from Airventure as the tent, clothes, mattress' and sleeping bags are worth. I used a business account to ship to Wisconsin but UPS wouldn't allow us to use the business account there at the show. Anyhow, I need to do another Chicken Strip camping trip soon, before it gets too cold at night there.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Flying has been pretty good around here. This weekend we went to meet up with my Aerotrek owner friend in Camarillo. Seem to find LA landmarks each time I go there. Music lovers should reckognize the round building.
    Getty Center, LA, Malibu, Capital Records.
    IMG_6782.jpgIMG_6781.jpgIMG_6783.jpgIMG_6784.jpgIMG_6795.jpg
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

If you have considered getting a Onewheel, you have until tomorrow to get one of the two new models on sale. Im going to have to drop the $. Having one will make my plane even more fun. I can hit hot springs (or other stuff) miles from the plane where I would have no reason to land otherwise.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I would like to try one but I'm afraid I'd end up like Mark Patey after he rode one at dead cow. He's laid up now. haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

So, I had not flown for 18 days due to schedule and weather conflicts. I finally got out to see what the weather had done in our mountains.

https://youtu.be/JZWUU30zoaQ
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

To the A&Ps and AIs. I have a Rotax 912is and Im curious, as service bulletins get issued, do we make entry into the logbook when the bulletin Does Not apply to my Serial Number. I can imagine that upon selling an aircraft, someone usually does a bulletin/AD search to ensure all of them have been complied with. If I record every bulletin then I assume it would be a cleaner search. I guess I would simply state in the log that the Bulletin does not apply and then jot down the SN of, in this case, the Fuel Pumps.
    Thanks
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    To the A&Ps and AIs. I have a Rotax 912is and Im curious, as service bulletins get issued, do we make entry into the logbook when the bulletin Does Not apply to my Serial Number. I can imagine that upon selling an aircraft, someone usually does a bulletin/AD search to ensure all of them have been complied with. If I record every bulletin then I assume it would be a cleaner search. I guess I would simply state in the log that the Bulletin does not apply and then jot down the SN of, in this case, the Fuel Pumps.
    Thanks
    Haven't been an A&P for very long, but have been an actively involved owner for a long time and I also have to look at logbooks a lot investigating accidents. So, her is my spin.

Making a entry reference in the logbook is absolutely fine, even if not applicable, but mandatory if applicable. Also is very beneficial to keep an AD/SB compliance list. There are lots of templates. Just do a search for AD compliance sheet.

For the Twin Comanche I owned, as the owner, I kept compliance lists for every AD and SB on that airplane. I kept recurring ADs/SBs separate from one-time but kept the lists as quick reference for annual inspections and such. I did this on my own and on that old airplane it was a lot of work going through decades of logbook entries to compile the list. Once done, you could go to the compliance list and see when a particular AD/SB was complied with and then go back to the logbook to find the entry by the mechanic. At that time I didn't have my A&P but it answered all the questions. The TC had lots of ADs and lots were recurring so it made referencing easy.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

The logs of my Citabria had a section of ADs, in two sections. There was a page for every AD you might stumble across for the entire series. For the once which didn't apply there was a diagonal line across the page and a reason why no tears needed to be shed this year (usually serial number or specific component not installed). For every AD for which there was a single inspection/replacement needed that information was present.
    Then there was the section for recurring ADs like my wood wing spars, that &$#@ exhaust system, etc.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

You are on the right track Eddie. I find the best way to keep track of ADs and SB is to keep a list of every one that comes out on an airframe, engine and accessories. They will either be reoccurring, a one time compliance or not applicable. I keep this all in a spreadsheet. They don't have to be written in the logbooks, the spreadsheets are considered part of the maintenance records. I use one tab to track any recurring ADs and another tab for the rest. If they are N/A I put the reason why in the notes, such as N/A by serial number, model number, not installed, etc. For reoccurring ADs you should put record the date and what was done to comply with the AD, and when the AD is next due for each time you comply with it.

Also, any time I comply with an AD or SB I enter the information in the logbooks.

While we are at it, how do others keep track of everything else that has due dates such as the condition inspection, ELT batteries, transponder biennial, etc.? Personally I keep another spreadsheet specifically for this. For every item I make a row and enter the date, tach time, hours or calendar time when it's next due. Each line is linked to a couple cells at the top where I enter the current date and tach time. Once I update these all of the rest of the spreadsheet updates, showing when everything is next due including hours or calendar time remaining. It takes a little time to set up the spreadsheet, but is totally worth it. I actually put my recurring SBs and ADs in the spreadsheet too.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

While we are at it, how do others keep track of everything else that has due dates such as the condition inspection, ELT batteries, transponder biennial, etc.?
    I have a big white board in my hangar. On top of the above (very good to have information), it has my own BFR, CFI and medical dates. Big white boards are expensive so I kept watching craigslist until one popped up for cheap.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII