Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 113 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1196

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I did a Leak down test Using a Differential compression tester. I only discovered the difference from reading the reviews on Amazon regarding that tester that was suggested. I took the rotax maint. course and they always referred to this as a differential compression test hence my incorrect use of the term. I got 77/80 all the way around. To muddy the water a bit, AviationPros.com refers to them as "direct compression test" (turning over the engine) and "differential compression test" (static motor and pressurizing the cylinder).
    Last edited by efwd; 03-08-2021 at 06:44 AM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Man, nobody has ever told me how much a break job costs on a Kitfox. OK, it turned out to cost me only $120 plus the cost of the rivet setting tool at $37 but at first I was seeing $400. I understand why Paul at Stick & Rudder talks about using or not using breaks on landing. So, the $400 is if you buy the "assy" of pads and back plate and pressure plates. That was a shock as I first started to research the order. I discovered the tool and bought that right away with my pad/rivet order. Certainly adds time to doing the job but fortunately I enjoy turning wrenches. I will definitely be using less braking in the future. It is deceiving how much brake pad remains when just looking at them while installed. I may have done this a bit prematurely but I was running out of pad over at least one of the rivets so being unclear as to the wear rate, I just replaced now and plan to use the brakes far less frequently. I should get far more than 300 hours on these. I did a fair amount of hard breaking on the first set as I was learning the stopping distances on my plane specifically.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. Leakdown looks good. Anyone know why rotax say to do leakdown using 87psi as base and not 80 like most aviation mechanics use? I use 80 also just curious. Did you get pads from grove? What tool do you need? If you put some vgs on your landing speed will be slower and less brake wear. Just teasing you!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Even my Rotax mechanic used 80psi on the two previous tests.
    I got everything at AS&S as they were open on Saturday and it was on my way home. If time were no concern, I would have got them at Grove. I had to buy a brake master cylinder O ring set as I have one cylinder leaking pretty bad. The Grove people are very nice. I don't even think the passenger side brakes have ever even been used. I'm not looking forward to the contorting I will need to be doing to replace these O rings.
    The tool I got is below. Works great.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...RapcoBrake.php
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

As far as brake pads I am around 300 hours and ~1200 landings. I just measured my pads this weekend on my condition inspection and they are at .125" thickness with a minimum thickness of .100". I should be able to get about 400 hours on the first set of pads, and that is not too bad.

Make sure you follow the procedure to "condition" your brake pads before you fly. If you don't they can glaze and you won't have maximum braking effectiveness.

Don't try to get too much life out of a set of brake pads. If the pads get too thin then the rivets will score the brake discs, which are far more expensive than pads.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

100 hrs on .025 remaining? Yeah, I likely did this prematurely. My hangar neighbor said that they don't wear as fast as I might think. Anyhow, Im not fretting over a fresh set of brake pads. I certainly would be had I got to the rivet as you suggest. Historically I replace stuff before its due anyhow. Might explain how I drive a 24 year old truck that runs beautifully.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Thanks Eddie. Leakdown looks good. Anyone know why rotax say to do leakdown using 87psi as base and not 80 like most aviation mechanics use? I use 80 also just curious. Did you get pads from grove? What tool do you need? If you put some vgs on your landing speed will be slower and less brake wear. Just teasing you!
    87 psi just a conversion from the 600 kPa you'd use in one of the all-but-two countries in the world that don't use the metric system.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

The January 01, 2020 issue of the line maintenance manual appears to have addressed the test pressure conversion:

"Now put constant pressure, between 5.5-6 bar (80–87 psi) on the line and take readings at pressure gauge (C)."

Eddie... that's the tool to get alright. Replacing the linings is so easy that it doesn't make any sense at all to me to buy the complete, assembled parts. In 30+ years of doing my own, I've always just replaced the linings (pads). The first tool I bought was just used with a mallet or hammer. The screw type is so much better that I gave away my old "hammer" one years ago.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Being that I wanted to know beforehand what I was going to find and Grove doesn’t have a diagram like they do for the brake calipers, I figure I will post these. I bought a fairly pricey bottle of thread locker (Loctite 262) just to use one small dab on the bottom threads. I question if it had any on it from the manufacturer. Turned out that I didn’t need to remove the whole unit from the plane. I didn’t want to have to battle leaks at the 90 degree fittings since they are nice and dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X