Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 96 of 120 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    John did your sump drain leak also? Are you running ethonal?
    Yes, on the right tank. Mogas, but no Ethanol. I'm thinking of just plugging those ports on both tanks. I can drain the tanks individually pretty easily if need be since I have shut-off valves and flare connections, and the sump on the header tank is reasonably sized and the lowest point in the fuel system. All it takes is a tiny particle (smaller than would be caught in the finger strainer mesh in the tank) to cause those drain valves to leak, and then they often have to be removed from the tank to replace or clean the o-ring or seat (or replace the valve of course). I've had to remove these Saf-Air or Curtis type drain valves several times over the years on other aircraft to clean or replace o-rings and it can be a real PITA, especially if you're on a trip. Removing and replacing fittings in those fiberglass tanks is also more problematic. Removing the drain valve from the header tank, if need be, is much less of a hassle IMO. Of course, if they're not leaking and you just leave them alone & don't take fuel samples at those points. you don't have to worry about it. I'm not suggesting that is necessarily a good idea... just thinking out loud.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I feel for you guys with Orotex if it stains that easily. After flying for 6 years I find its impossible to keep the gas off the fabric no matter how careful you are. A little spill during fueling, a small seep from a sump drain valve, overflow from the tank cap vents with full tanks if you sideslip or fly with ball not centered or park on a slight incline, etc. Aerothane on Polyfiber easily cleans up when I get home.

If it's wiped off within a reasonable period of time it doesn't seem to leave a stain. Something that's going on that you don't notice is another matter.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I decided from the beginning to only sump from the header tank for this reason. And as mentioned it's the lowest point.
    It didn't take long before I dribbled some 100LL behind the filler cap. That area was white. I couldn't get the blue stain out. That's on poly fiber. So I decided to paint a blue stripe there. Problem solved. Just wish I had thought of it while painting the whole plane.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken, what kind of paint is on your PolyFiber? Is it Aerothane or Poly-Tone? I have spilled 100LL and Mogas many times on my white Aerothane and it always cleans off with just soap & water, even days later. I know Poly-Tone with its matt finish is more prone to staining.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes Polytone will stain much more so than Aerothane, Bruce N199CL

Sorry, I should have specified. Its polytone.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Hopefully your Polytone paint jobs are being waxed with Carnauba wax once or twice a year.
    That’s the wax PolyFiber recommends for their paint systems.

*** If you decide to forgo wing tank sump drains, like I did on my model 4, you will need to wait about 20 minutes for any new moisture that may be introduced during refueling to migrate down to the header tank sump. Refuel first then go use the rest room, eat a candy bar, recharge your iPad a few minutes then check for moisture in the fuel before taking off on the next leg of your flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    *** If you decide to forgo wing tank sump drains, like I did on my model 4, you will need to wait about 20 minutes for any new moisture that may be introduced during refueling to migrate down to the header tank sump. Refuel first then go use the rest room, eat a candy bar, recharge your iPad a few minutes then check for moisture in the fuel before taking off on the next leg of your flight.
    Do you think that works with a tailwheel plane? I can't see how water in the main tank would settle to the header tank just by waiting. Wouldn't the water settle out to the lowest point in the fuel tanks, which is where the wing drains are located? The supply to the header tank comes from the middle of the tank and the water wouldn't get there until the wing gets level in flight.

Personally I would not leave out the wing drains or neglect to drain them on a preflight or when I refuel.

Even though I flushed my tanks during the build I am still getting a little debris out my right fuel tank. At times it causes the drain to leak. Usually I just take another sample by pushing several times quickly on the drain and it clears out the debris.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

hmm, I see I have spurred a bit of a conversation piece by sharing what I thought was a mundane misfortune of mine. Almost didn't post it. Glad I did. I think I am with Phil. Im not certain contamination will make it to the header tank. I know I will be confirming the adequate seal after each sample from here forward though. Usually I get the drip to stop by actuating the valve again. I think the debris sat long enough to get really attached to the O-ring and it would not clear. I tried everything but couldn't get it out without removing the valve. Even having it out and using compressed air didn't dislodge it. I had to use a pick to dislodge it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

My series 5 will be Oratex White since that is what the previous owner had for it, and I am planning some color on the fiberglass cowl, bootcowl, and wingtips, along with some type of pin-striping.

The fuel stain issue has me wondering if painting the oratex in that area would help against staining. Good to hear that it cleans up if you catch it right away. Maybe keep a spray bottle in the airplane for that...could also make some kind of splash guard for refueling if you wanna go overboard.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio