Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 84 of 120 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    LOL, I don't know if I would have appreciated the maneuver from a 45 degree bank let alone 60!. Im just following the EAA flight test program...
    Well, you might just be reinventing the envelope, but you're now getting to know the aircraft. Being able to go do all this stuff and understand how your aircraft will behave will make for future safer flying. I'm 6 to 8 weeks away from finishing and really looking forward to phase 1 testing. I've ordered a copy of the EAA flight test manual, which will be accepted here in Australia so I'll be treading the same path, but with the addition of some other stuff, which will include higher bank angles. But I do understand your nervousness ... I know I'll be exactly the same, especially when you're exploring some boundaries of the envelope.

Keep the phase 1 posts coming. Interesting to read about your progress.

Fly safe.
    David
    SS7 Builder

When expanding your envelope during these manuvers I always went thru my PARE spin recovery mantra before conducting any manuver that could possibly get me into one. P A R E Power-idle, Aileron-neutral, Rudder -full deflection opposite spin direction, Elevator-push to break stall. You want that at the tip of your tongue so in case a spin happens you aren't fumbling for your recovery. I did 1 turn spin tests in my Series 5 and (with a borrowed parachute on) found I could easily get it spinning with traditional inputs and with the PARE recovery initiated immediately upon spin entry I would lose 600-700 feet. If you weren't ready for one , I could see a much greater altitude loss while you try to think thru the procedure , while under duress. For me at least it was a dramatic ride and i sure wouldn't want to be spinning earthward trying to remember my spin recovery procedure. Flying is all about thinking ahead and not simply reacting to what just happened . Bruce N199CL

Phase 1 stories continued.
    You know what they say, "there are those who have ground looped their plane and there are those who will". I know what your thinking but fortunately I am still in the later group but....Man was it close! I still have the 150lbs of rock salt in the baggage area for the aft CG need but I needed to burn some fuel so I was just going to do some pattern work.
    No wind but it was starting to build and the direction of the breeze was variable and the tower actually reported a slight tail wind on one approach. I don't think the wind had any part in it actually. Remember the shimmy I mentioned? It happened on this landing and it was bad.because I hadn't had one on many of the previous landings but this time I forgot about my need to not load the tailwheel with the aft stick. I pulled aft stick, shaking started, lost train of thought and off to the races. First it went Right, recovered but now I was headed for the Left side of the runway. Pushing the rudder in the opposite position I stopped it from exiting the left side of the runway by about 6 feet. Next thing I noticed after saving my skin was my rudder pedals were freely moving without the typical resistance one gets from the tailwheel horn springs. My spring was thrown off again, the second time. Had to advise the tower of FOD and then the maintenance guy and myself got to go out for retrieval. So Im officially done with those springs and Im getting the compression type springs as many have told me to do from the start. In Fact, I made a phone call to John M. and I am preparing to buy a new tail wheel set up sooner than I had hoped. Thought I would wait a year or so but rather than make adjustments to this steel leaf spring I think I am going to drop the hammer on the T3 and a new tailwheel to match.
    So.. A couple thoughts. I feel I have made my decisions well as they pertain to where I first fly this thing. Had I put my plane at the closer airport and less expensive rent, I would have departed the runway.I utilized nearly the entire width of the Chino runway and its a wide one, 150ft. I bet I used 130 feet of it. I suppose an experienced Kitfoxer would have done far better if they even let it get out of track but I didn't go crazy on the pedals for fear of really messing it up. You might say I just pushed hard enough as to not depart the runway. It all happened kinda slow. Im curious what the tower was saying. LOL
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Glad you saved your bacon. I love my T3 and TundraLite. It’s so docile.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Eddie, I feel your concern! One of my experiences while training with S&R at Boise, KBOI, I was landing on a somewhat windy day and like you I was all over that big wide runway, no ground loop but not pretty. As I switched from tower to ground freq I clearly heard the tower guys laughing out loud about my landing. That makes you eat humble pie real quick.

I also occasionally have a bad tailwheel shimmy, usually when the tail hits hard with the wheel canted off center. When this happens I immediately give it forward stick and finish with a wheel landing, all the while staying very active on the rudders.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Warning Never use sand bags or anything like that.

If doing stalls, say a bag tears and say 15 lbs goes to the far tail you now have a problem

Many years on an STC project a fellow DAR signed off on a test airplane that used sand bags and cases of oil for ballest.

two pilots were lost in the crash site the fwd cockpit was full of sand and oil

I have borrowed diver belt weights easy to tie down

David Kelm
    7SS,912iS, Garmin touch

I took necessary precautions to secure the salt. Not sure how sand or anything else for that matter would make it out of the luggage Bag. My Bags were as secure as any camping gear but point well taken. That is why I secured the bags of salt. I have some background in securing loads having been a crew chief on Huey and Blackhawk helicopters. Fully aware of what happens when loads shift. I once filled the cabin of a Huey with boxes of Cocaine from floor to ceiling. Hate to think of what would have happened had one of those containers opened up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I once filled the cabin of a Huey with boxes of Cocaine from floor to ceiling. Hate to think of what would have happened had one of those containers opened up.
    Party?
    James T
    Valrico, FL

Quote Originally Posted by dcsfoto View Post
    Warning Never use sand bags or anything like that...
    David Kelm
    7SS,912iS, Garmin touch
    I used sand bags, David. Put them in nice canvas duffle bags, which have strap handles that are good for using the seat belts or cargo straps to secure. No worry about a bag tearing or breaking. 200 or 300 pounds of diver belt weights is a lot of those things!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

A good way to prevent sandbags or other ballast weights from moving aft in the baggage bay, other than local load restraint, is to secure cargo netting or strapping immediately aft of the baggage bay..... kind of belt and braces approach. It needs to be full depth of the fuselage section and securely attached to the surrounding fuselage, with no possibility of the bags wedging past the restraining system.

David is right to highlight the potential danger though .... stalls in a Kitfox give quite a nose high attitude and this can cause baggage bay loads to move aft very quickly if not properly restrained, something I for one don't want to experience ... FWIW.
    David
    SS7 Builder