Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 82 of 120 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I had the same shimmy problems after a while my 3 leaf tailwheel spring seemed to take a set (probably due to weight and some hard landings). I went to the Grove aluminum tailwheel spring and it solved most of my shimmy problems. I still get a shimmy once in a while on landing pavement only, too fast with a bounce. If the wheel hits the pavement without being reasonably aligned with direction of travel it seems to kick off a shimmy. Not sure what tailwheel/spring you have.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Can you get someone to take a profile pic of the tailwheel / spring on level ground with you and the heavier fuel load on board so we can see the geometry?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Eddie - thanks for the info on the stripes.

Which tailwheel spring and tailwheel did you go with?

Thanks
    Rodney

No Problem.
    What the factory sent me. Steel leaf spring with Matco wheel.
    I took some addtl slack out of the tail wheel spring/chain. Went out and tried it and at least on that landing today, it didn't shimmy. However, I didn't pull back on the stick so much so I don't think I loaded it up so much. My geometry is OK but I was looking at it without me in it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ill cut to the chase. Over the past few hours my fuel pressure has been creeping up to 46. something psi. on full throttle. Cruise, its always inside normal parameters. It used to do it while running both pumps now it does it with one pump while taking off. Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter. I had been finding debris in the fuel drains when I do the sampling. I definitely think this debris is the same stuff we all rinse out of the fuel tanks during wing building. It seems I am finding less and less of this stuff the past couple days. I cut the filter open and found nothing. I was surprised I didn't find some kind of debris from the build to be honest. Anyhow, flew this morning and got as high as 48psi with both pumps running. Sitting here pondering what this could be. What would happen if I crimped down the fuel return line from the header tank to the wing tank? I need to verify I am not reducing flow with any wire ties. But, could that be a cause for increased fuel pressures?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

HI Eddie,

I just wanted to say that those psi figures are close to the same that I get regularly. On one pump i get about 45psi, two pumps 47psi. I now have 450hrs on the engine and am comfortable with the readings. At first I too thought they were high but after some discussion I decided to take more notice of the relative change ( if any) to the reading over time - as you know that would indicate the fine filter is becoming blocked. That said, I would check the corse filter (which is able to be inspected and replaced, any in line filters you may have installed ( have one in each line coming from the tanks) and the finger strainers in the tanks themselves. The finger strainers are a bit of pain to check but that release agent stuff ( small white flecks) can keep appearing for a while - I think I still got a few util after about 100hours.

I also believe that even if the fine filter gets totally blocked or some reason, the fuel will be diverted via the fuel manifold to the engine and it will keep running ....for a while at least.

I guess my 2 bobs worth is to check all filters and strainers until you are happy there is nothing there and then take more notice of relative changes in the displayed pressure that the absolute reading - I was told there could well be some error from calibration and compatibility issues between he sensor and the display hardware/software. I have MGL minis and tried to find a means to calibrate the fuel pressure reading but to no avail.

Also, have you read the Rotax owners 912is forum on this?? https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax...ressure-please

Anyway, it is great to see you airborne and to read your accounts of the fun!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Ross
    I did look it up right after I posted the last post. I also called Brian at California Power systems. His statement was precisely what you state and that of the Rotax guy on the Rotax site you gave. Pretty much, I have come to realize that the fuel pressure sensor takes in information and then there is some calculation done to provide a readout and there are lags between calculations therefore a readout that is not precisely indicated until things stabilize. From what I understand, my numbers are pretty much acceptable and as you have stated I need to watch the trend and if I see higher numbers develop I need to be concerned. The Rotax tech who answered the Kitfox Owners question said that it would be acceptable to raise the parameters on the indication so that I don't get used to and then ignore high psi readings and alarms. I need to check tomorrow that my fuel return line back to the Right wing tank is not squished and reducing flow back to the tank. Thanks for the reply. Im not quite as comfortable as I would like to be yet as things like this pop up every now and then. I also changed some configurations on my transponder while trouble shooting my VPX connections and ATC was telling me my mode C wasn't working. I figured it out in flight but I could do without that kind of stuff. LOL. It seems, as much as I didn't like wheel landings when flying with Stick and Rudder, I kinda prefer them now. It was kinda out of necessity that I tried one in my own airplane and I found it easier for some reason. Flew it right down to the pavement and viola. Set the tail wheel down so gently and no shimmy. Now I need to try some three point landings again. I suppose I need to check the inline fuel filter as well. thanks
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Good to hear from you Eddie - yes, I think the fuel pressure reading is pretty common but, as you are saying and doing, we need to make sure we are avoiding a potential issue!

I havent had any experience of the shimmy thing - I have read many accounts of it and dont know if it is just luck or something to do with the angle of the wheel (that seems to be the most common explanation). But I always do 3 pointers - or attempt to - just because is makes sense to me to land as slow as possible. I try and hit the tail wheel first but mostly fail - but seldom use brakes because I dont need to. Anyway, sounds like you are going through all the processes that we need to in order to develop confidence in our machines.

For interest, mine is getting a new gearbox in it at the moment - I have the vibrations start again and they developed a new housing with oil squirter or something! I already had it rebuilt at about 150 hrs so hoping this fixes it - I'm off on another big trip in a month so want that fixed.

all the best

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    ...Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter. I had been finding debris in the fuel drains when I do the sampling. I definitely think this debris is the same stuff we all rinse out of the fuel tanks during wing building. It seems I am finding less and less of this stuff the past couple days. I cut the filter open and found nothing...
    What kind of fuel have you been using, Eddie? My fuel samples have been completely clean, & when I checked my main filter at 25 hours there was nothing in it, which made me feel good of course. I’ve been able to use ethanol-free 91 octane mogas exclusively so far.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

except for the short period that I had 4 gallons of mogas to do flow checks and the first engine run it has been 100LL w/ DeCalin. I flew this morning and I didn't find any more of that stuff in any of the three ports. took 20 hours of flight time to get a clear sample. Im sure I'll see a bit more. My fuel pressure never went to 48 this morning. I have adjusted my parameters to alarm at a higher psi as well. I left both pumps running as I did multiple landings in the pattern and pressure was very stable and always below 48psi.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X