Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 100 of 120 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1196

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Smoke system on my large scale RCs was one of the funniest things I did with my radio controlled plane. Now put one on 100% scale would be tons of fun! I think you should put it on and learn some sky writing.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

The Kitfox one is pretty good Eddie. Don’t expect quite the volume of smoke like the Speedster that Kyle Franklin flew at Oshkosh but for it’s size it does well. Had a lot of fun with smoke system on my first Kitfox, a model 3 with 80 hp Rotax.

When I built my model four, I installed one but it didn’t perform as well. I think I installed too small of pump. Worked but not quite as impressive as my first one. Not only are they fun but I used mine dozens of times for recognition. When a flying buddy or another aircraft couldn’t see me right away I’d let out a trail of smoke and it wasn’t long before I was spotted especially in clear skies, which is most of the time in Arizona. That white smoke against a blue sky really pops.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

marvin homsley smoke system has been used a Kitfox

David Kelm

Thanks DF4. From what I understand, John M told me that they had installed two nozzles into the exhaust for that demonstration. He warned that doing so comes with addtl risk of fire in the exhaust. So, half of what you see on that flight will just suit me fine. Your use of the system is precisely what I find so appealing about it. I am constantly thinking how cool it would be to pop smoke to be identified. There are a lot of planes here near me. Too near. Thanks for the lead Dave. As for sky writing Dustin, well, It would empty a tank of oil pretty quickly and that stuff comes at a premium. Maybe a Smiley Face or something.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yeah the super dri smoke oil I always found to be the best but it was most expensive. Some guys have good luck with making there own using baby oil. Of course this was all on RCs.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Whew, it's been too long. Two weeks since I last flew. Got up in the air today with the sunrise. Went out to have breakfast then off to visit a fellow Kitfox builder I was put in touch with by Debra McBean. Anyhow, after breakfast I postponed my departure as I saw a Kitfox with 27" tires coming in to land. So I met Richard and got included on a thread that several of his friends at Corona use to connect for breakfast flights. Maybe even some camping. Sweet. Then I flew out to the desert north of Palm Springs where David has a dirt strip. Pretty neat place. We got to look over one anothers planes and talk Kitfox for a while. I just dropped in on him so I lucked out that my fly bys got him to come outside and wave me in. We haven't communicated in two years or so. I just figured he would OK a Kitfox to land if I flew by. He pointed me out to the North East from his place where we could see a lot of dust in the desert. He told me it was the King of the Hammer truck races practice. The event is actually next weekend while I will be flying to AZ for Copperstate. Anyhow, Google it. Pretty intense race. I flew out there after I left his place and did a little low flying around guys racing trucks, motorcycles, Razors etc etc. Pretty neat and fun low flying day. Lots of fist pumps from those on the ground. Anybody outside of Kitfox factory and DF4 going to be at Copperstate next weekend? My son and I will arrive around 9 or 10 Saturday morning. Hoping the airshow won't start till after that or I won't get in till after the show I suppose.

Try this link for the King of the Hammers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2c17UAQKSU

oh, Damn It! my video SD card was full when I headed to this spot.
    Last edited by efwd; 01-31-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

So, I have removed everything that's supposed to come out for the annual. Weird seeing it this way again for the first time since before phase 1 started. Anyhow, rather than reinvent the wheel here, wondering if anyone has a particular list of things that need a look at on an annual basis that they would think worthy of sharing. Im not even sure the FAA doesn't have something along this realm. Maybe the A&Ps out there can chime in. Maybe everyone just goes back over their end of build checklist that Kitfox has in the manual?
    What does everyone do?
    Also, anyone have an idea how to stop the erosion that is taking place on my exhaust retention springs. The springs are already eating through the stainless steel rod that are welded to the exhaust pipe.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

For my annual, I have always used the end-of-build checklist in the Kitfox build manual, modified to add the optional items and a few modifications I made to the checklist. Since I fly more than 100 hours a year, and I do the Rotax recommended 100 hour inspections, I don't repeat those items at annual because they get done more than once per year.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks Dustin and Jim. I think that should do it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X