Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 97 of 120 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I'm with Phil on the fuel sampling.

If I had Oratex or Polytone I would be using a towel all around the filler neck when refueling.
    One caution I learned the hard way, when refueling on even a slight slope, always fill the uphill wing first; otherwise the downhill wing will overflow out the vent tube due to the crossover while you are filling the uphill side.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I'm with Phil on the fuel sampling.

If I had Oratex or Polytone I would be using a towel all around the filler neck when refueling.
    One caution I learned the hard way, when refueling on even a slight slope, always fill the uphill wing first; otherwise the downhill wing will overflow out the vent tube due to the crossover while you are filling the uphill side.
    That's the reason I added a fuel shutoff valve in each main fuel line between wing tanks and header tank. Keeps this self leveling fuel loss from happening when parked on uneven surfaces which is 75 % of the time. Before leaving the cockpit I shut one of these valves and put a clip on red flag on my master switch as a reminder. Also work great for inflight fuel balancing and during fuel system maintenance. Can't tell you how many times I've seen Kitfoxes peeing fuel from their vent tubes with nobody around. Know thy fuel system.(I think that's the 11th commandment) Bruce N199CL

I have one valve on the left side. I use it as you do. Once my fuel transferred from the bad side, I turned off the valve on the left side and put the airplane back to level.
    It works in the opposite direction as well so by having one I am unable to balance the use of fuel in flight. If I burn too much fuel from the Left tank the only thing I do is fly out of trim and drop the wing a bit lower for a couple minutes and it seems to transfer fuel nicely.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Mention of a fuel shutoff valve is very timely - Amazon just delivered the Gates Low Permeation fuel line. Where and how did you mount those shutoff valves?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I just cut into the fuel line just above the interior fabric wrap around and placed my valve there so that it didn't interfere with that fabric or require that I open up the fabric to turn the valve.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    Mention of a fuel shutoff valve is very timely - Amazon just delivered the Gates Low Permeation fuel line. Where and how did you mount those shutoff valves?
    Carl , couple of pictures of my 2 inline valves (also use the gates fuel line) you may note that I added a small safety lever that has to be moved to turn on off the valves to avoid inadvertent shutoffs. Also there is my big red "HEY STUPID" flag that I clip on my master switch whenever I shut one off. After I installed these I did another fuel flow test and all was good. have had them in place for probably 10 years now with no issues. BMGL install and kitfox fuel valves 001.jpgMGL install and kitfox fuel valves 002.jpgruce N199CL

Eddie/Bruce

Where did you purchase your shutoff valves. Bruce, I really like the slim profile of yours. Thanks for any info.

Rick

Amazon.
    Parts Unlimited Fuel Shut-Off Valve - 5/16in. 12121

Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

A new ASB is out for us with the 912iS. Certain SN fuel pumps require replacement. . Not sure yet if my pumps are included.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Man, it sure seems like a real recurring fiasco with Rotax and fuel pumps. I wonder if it has anything to do with variable components in auto fuel, which I believe has been one of the issues with carburetor floats. Rotax took such a long time to develop the 912iS, you'd think that they wouldn't be having so many apparent service bulletins/issues. I feel your pain, Eddie.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime