Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 102 of 120 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1196

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Dustin, I don't have VGs. Other than the entertainment factor of doing these short landings I just won't put VGs to good use. I realize they are an inexpensive proposition and if put to use they are very beneficial. Here is my rub with putting them on my plane. In my years as a helicopter mechanic in the military, I have washed many aircraft. Having 100 little plastic pieces to get knocked around and in my way adds to my distain for washing airplanes. Weird I know but its just enough a deterrent for me. I would if I had real purpose for landing short. CA kinda stinks for backcountry stuff.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I can understand that. Does make it harder to clean. Our airport is next to Utah lake, which is basically 150 square mile swamp. Ga-zillion bugs so they get caked on pretty good. Surprisingly very few bugs hit the vgs. I just have a bucket of water with a microfiber cloth and after each flight wipe the bugs off. The oratex with a wax, the bugs "almost" fall off when you wipe them down. Takes me 5min to wipe the bugs off after flying but you do have to be careful not to snap the VGS.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Geeze, nearly got swarmed by people everywhere I went today. I flew an hour south today to introduce Jake, a Navy Sailor, to the Kitfox. Nearly made it into Gillespie field east of San Diego but the field was IFR in spite of the fact I was looking at the runway from 6 miles east. I have never asked for a special VFR and so I didn't. I had to meet at Romona which was a 40 minute drive for Jake. We flew from Romona back to Gillespie an hour later for breakfast. While at Romona I had people coming over to look the Kitfox over. Then while at the Cafe at Gillespie I had a retired couple come over and asked lots of questions as they plan to build one also. Those weren't the only people but I was on a schedule so off we went. Pretty nice day to fly.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Know what you mean Eddie, within the last week i have received 2 calls from guys interested in a Kitfox build. The first was one of our young local pilots who owns a cub and would like to upgrade in speed and cross country capability. Gave him a demo ride a few days ago and he enjoyed the airplane and flew it well. Then a call from one of my hangar mates called to ask me if he could give my ph. number to a young guy who also wants to build. I suspect another demo will be forthcoming. Good for GA, and good for Kitfox -the "Trent Palmer affect," getting the younger crowd interested. Bruce N199CL

It's like taking a puppy to the beach. Everyone wants to come look at the cute little airplane.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Sounds like fun Eddie! Haze/fog can be very deceiving. I always verify “current” visibility with tower. Good call on playing it safe.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

This is how we all wish people receive our low pass in an airplane. Back story: a few friends went out to shoot and camp. The property is out along the Pacific Coast Trail which is a very popular hike east of San Diego. I had flown overhead at about 1000ft. I snuck up on them from the east so they weren't aware I was coming back which explains why the video starts after I have flown over. You would think I had just done a four point roll or something.
    https://youtu.be/6Fof4zdAmvU
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Made my first attempt at going to Catalina Island yesterday. AWOS reported clear skies. They were, but not really. You can see the approach end of the runway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Nice pics! The conditions out there can change really quick. I use to give the airport a call 310-510-0143 before departing. On the other hand there is nothing bad about a flight over the nice blue Pacific Ocean.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

That looks fun! Did you carry a raft or just a life jacket and some shark spray? That would be fun to do a flyin to there.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!