Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 80 of 120 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Congrats to your ground crew also Eddie. It's a blessing to have such strong support behind you.
    You've been an inspiration to many on the forums with your can do attitude and you've given as much or more support to our forum members as you've received. Thank you for that.
    I think you built a very attractive Kitfox.
    Fly safe, fly often.
    Fly over and take me for a flight.
    Hope to see you and "Midlife Crisis" sometime shortly after you reach Phase2.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Congrats Eddie, a memorable accomplishment for sure.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Outstanding Eddie. After all that work you finally get to enjoy it. Fly safe and congratulations.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Fantastic, beautiful plane, enjoy!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Your build thread was an inspiration to all of us, especially me. Your plane is awesome Eddie.
    Lot's to be proud of.
    I hope to see you soon and talk under the wings of our planes!!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Of course Brian will need to come back to Chandler too.
    Heck yes I will. I'm looking forward to some AZ airplane camping. It looks like there are regular pancake breakfasts in Heber/Overgaard too.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

6 hours on it now. Beautiful flying this morning. 2.2 hours doing flap tests and stalls in addition to the 35 miles each way to the practice area. Stalls were fun. Full flaps, I nearly can't stall down at 38-39mph. Just hangs there. Im thinking I need to reduce my idle speed. I set my idle at 1400 on the ground but it won't even get near that while flying. I was told that if I set my ground idle at less than 1400 I could potentially kill the engine on final when I pulled the throttle. Funny, these little nuances were not even on my mind until I started my test program. I suppose that makes sense but this is getting really fun learning about my own airplanes flying characteristics. More tomorrow!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie sounds like you are having fun and the nuances you speak of never end (which is actually a good thing), this year is year 16 that I have been flying my Series 5 and I still have a list of tweaks that I want to accomplish as the weather warms here in western new york. want to add a USB charging port, add another notch of flap between full flap and the 11 degree setting, and the biggy after watch Mike Patey Draco construction videos is to try my hand at carbon fiber fairings. I think as homebuilders most of us here are continually trying to make our planes the perfect plane for us , and that is what is so cool about experimental aviation. enjoy the process. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    6 hours on it now. Beautiful flying this morning. 2.2 hours doing flap tests and stalls...
    Just guessing here... but that's a pretty high compression motor with a light flywheel. Probably why the rpm idle restrictions to 1400 , so it won't stall. The way a Rotax 912 shuts down... I've never seen another motor like it, that quits spinning on shut down so abruptly, other than in a diesel motor with 22:1 compression ratio. It's a shaker, for sure.

No flying for us here in Los Angeles county, yesterday. Airspace all shut down 35 miles around LAX, no one taking off or landing on an absolutely gorgeous spring day. POTUS in town, TAC's in effect.

Might want to look into what Rotax says about RPM'S on warm up, to protect the gearbox from wear. I understand Rotax made a change to 912iS gearboxes. all new part #. They added an additional oiler/squirter inside of it on top of the dogs, to prevent gearbox from wearing and causing vibrations. Maybe find out if your engine is the newest version and check the gearbox part number, they redesigned the whole gearbox and all new part numbers inside. This is a very recent development, BTW.
    Last edited by NinerBikes; 04-07-2019 at 08:54 AM.

You will find changing your idle won't stop you from floating. I had my idle down to 900 with my fuel injection (I wouldn't actually idle at that). But you will find your Kitfox will float even with a low idle.

I was running out of elevator so I moved all my weight around which has drastically improved my landing. But if I still want to land short? I land with 2500 rpm so my elevator has more authority and I come in steeper on approach.

Now people say, I don't want to land behind the power curve but A: 2500rpm is hardly behind the power curve and B) if you are landing steeper with power on, if you lose your engine, you just resume the shallower descent profile so it's not like you will come up short. It actually gives you more options than approaching shallow.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3