Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: EFWD Build

Thank you so much Carl. That was a terrific piece of information. So I am now home from trouble shooting my Gremlin. I can get wordy so be warned. I went to the plane and replicated the exact thing that Carl provided in the link. Perfect, or so I thought. I'll come back to that. I put the engine cowl back on after checking all my connections. Found only one problem. Remember the spring steel clips I have mentioned, the ones that hold the connector tight with the Manifold? One of them had been installed where only one half of the connector was being secured tightly. Difficult to explain but I fixed that. I ran it up without any trouble. I then turned off the master power switch to see if the panel fails the same way. It did. I then Departed the airport to a 2000ft altitude as provided by the tower for an orbit over the pattern. I lost the panel at 2000ft on downwind. All came online again as it has been doing. Landed witout any of the PFD functions operational. I must say, people are correct when they say a Kifox is easy to handle even without instruments. I also note that the LANE A light never came on. So on the transient parking ramp I removed all the connections from my VPX and reconnected them. I wiggled and shoved the connection at the back of the master power switch. There was a little play noted but it was securely fastened. I asked for the active runway and orbited for 20 min without any problem.
    Back to the G3X link. What is described is perfect for those failed sensors and the like. But, what about those items that have plagued me? Intermittent errors. If you have a part like my coil that works intermittently you will not see the problem when you power down the system (G3X touch) and reboot while holding down the menu button. That is how you enter the Configuration page. So, I will skip to the Garmin phone call. I think Carl talked about this. They state that if I configure the system to down load all data to an SD card on the face of the G3X you can retrieve all of it from your laptop. I did not do that today because I did not have a clean SD card they recommended. However, I have the SD card that was in the MFD from when I updated all the Garmin software. I always leave one in the plane and one in my wallet so I just swap them as I get updates. I will need to see if the data is clear on that card. I believe I still will have one issue at the 100hr sign off though. I will need to be able to erase the codes unless you just ignore the guidance offered by Rotax, which is to erase I believe. What could the harm be if I never erase? IDK.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

These smart engines and glass instruments are a marvel when they are all working well. But when something goes wrong they can be very difficult to diagnose. I suppose it's a little late to think about an engine with mags and carbs and a 6-pack panel?

I believe I corrected the wiring from the Rotax to the GEA-24 but am not getting any readings from the engine. Do you happen to remember if there are any readings from the engine before the engine is started? Maybe live data with the Master, G3X, and Lane A & B powered up? I'm seeing "X" across the engine instruments.

It won't be long before first engine start but it would be nice to be certain everything is working before moving to the airport.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Just got an update on the FAAs LSA Proposed Rules changes.
    Good info, long video. I found this article a few weeks ago. It is "By Don Johnson", as is the video. A little more concise though.

Here is the link: https://generalaviationnews.com/2020...hanges-to-lsa/

Changes are a-coming.

Ralph

Eddie,

Congrats on your article in the latest EAA Sport Aviation magazine. I think it is great that you took the effort to submit your article for the "What our members are building and restoring" section.

After all the work that went into your plane, a person deserves some kudos!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Well I got another opportunity to figure out the data that the G3X can see from the Rotax912is. Im hoping that this is just intake air temperature being too high. I flew to San Diego today and I found 105 degree air back at Chino when I came home. I was able to get the reboot of the G3X to occur without having to shut down the lane. I guess I am on the right track on the cause or it is simply a failing sensor. I need to figure out how to address such a code now. Is it a sensor or am I going to need another NACA duct to get cooler air into the intake if I hope to fly in excessive heat. Anybody else ever get this code?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Can you look at your data log to see what your intake temps hit? Looks like the sensor has failed? Out of curiosity does the data log, log all the data from 912is that it’s can see through the can bus? If I remember you recently turned on datalog in the G3x?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I have an update regarding the Lane B light. I finished an oil change yesterday and went out for a turn in the pattern. Lane B light again. I had to replace the air intake temp sensor. I wish I could buy Carl a Beer for leading me to the G3X capabilities. I suppose a beer is kinda cheep since I don't need to buy a $1300 Dongle or pay a shop to decipher my codes. Thanks again Carl.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

You're very welcome Eddie but I don't deserve too much credit. It would be very helpful if Garmin produced a collection of teaching videos on the G3X. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying learning from your experiences and frustrations as my "first flight" day approaches.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hope all of you have had a great Thanksgiving in light of the restrictions and all. Ive put together a montage of clips from flying I did this past week. Dang thing still 21min long and it will likely put you to sleep so maybe you'll want to save it for bedtime. Lot's of solo footage and some with my brother and with my 82 year old mom who was a Civil Air Patrol member back in her 30s. Some flying with DesertFox4 and I got an opportunity to visit with DesertFox1. Always enjoy the time with fellow Kitfox flyers. I did my first off airport landing at Salton Sea to visit Curt who is looking to buy a Kitfox someday. Glamis Dunes, really called Imperial Sand Dunes, are east of San Diego and run all the way to the Mexico border. I have now officially doubled my flight time from 250hrs PIC to 500hrs. The airplane has now got 260 hours on it now and this trip was uneventful. I think now the bugs must be worked out as I have not seen a lane light come on since the air temp sensor got replaced. A very nice week I must say. Thanks Steve, I couldn't have made the trip to the Dunes without your Decalin and thanks again for the opportunity to fly with you.

https://youtu.be/Ai3BqRtxH1w
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Enjoyed the ride Eddie. thanks.
    Geek