Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Wholly cow! Accelerated stalls done last night. 30 degree bank, idle power, pull slow until......
    right wing break and I have the earth filling the windscreen! Full left rudder, relax on the the stick and immediate recovery. OK, it excited me, not sure about anyone else. It was something to experience though since doing it so long ago in a Piper Archer. LOL. Kitfox's are awesome!. I did the maneuver a number of times without such dramatic results mostly. Maybe I was more gentle on the entry on the others. Fun stuff. On another note, I like it best when the plane is loaded with weight. Far less jostling around in the air when it is heavier. Still trying to tweak the Auto Pilot. It is quite annoying to have the thing pushing and pulling while trying to hold altitude. I'll figure it out. Im not big on trial and error work when it comes to configuring this stuff. Sorry if I bored you, just thought I would share. Not many posts from people who are working through phase one.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Cool Re: EFWD Build

Ed,

I have a buddy with a RV-12 he finished in 2015. 150hr's on it now.

E-LSA model, since it's an E-LSA, 5 hours to log and sort things out in a Vans Rv-12, not 40, before passengers can go up with him. I get calls from him usually 1x a week, weather permitting, to go up and fly with him. He cries his plane only gets 900 fpm on climb with me in it, but that's 3 or 4 minutes tops that it suffers. The airport is only 6 miles from my home.

He never complains, however, if it's even the slightest bit bumpy. My 250 # ballast is more than welcome then.... More than welcome. Usually, all it costs me is breakfast for 2 at a very nice airport restaurant. He thinks it's a good deal, I think it's a good deal too!

Evidently sacrificing a 1300 to 1400 fpm climb rate is worth it for a much smoother ride, when I too am in it.

Your bird, your choice, find a ballast buddy, if need be.

50lb bags of rock salt is all I have to keep me company.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

You get your 40 hours close to being signed off, yet? I see your Hobbs meter numbers creeping up... Soon? Or is phase I less hours than that on a Kitfox?

I have 25 hours on it. 15 more to go and Im going sight seeing.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Wholly cow! Accelerated stalls done last night. 30 degree bank, idle power, pull slow until......
    right wing break and I have the earth filling the windscreen! Full left rudder, relax on the the stick and immediate recovery. OK, it excited me, not sure about anyone else. It was something to experience though since doing it so long ago in a Piper Archer. LOL. Kitfox's are awesome!. I did the maneuver a number of times without such dramatic results mostly. Maybe I was more gentle on the entry on the others. Fun stuff. ....
    Good stuff Eddie. Lean her over another 15 to 30 deg and do the same thing. 45deg will get you 1.4g and 60 deg gets 2g. And it’s good you remembered the incipient spin recovery technique. Comes in handy every now and then !.
    David
    SS7 Builder

LOL, I don't know if I would have appreciated the maneuver from a 45 degree bank let alone 60!. Im just following the EAA flight test program. Glad they only asked for 30 degrees to be honest. I know this design has been fully tested and to me it seems like I am just reinventing the envelope. I can't imagine how boring it would be to just go out and fly without purpose though. This is a great way to gain confidence and learn the airplanes handling characteristics. Still, it makes me nervous (a little) to do things for the first time like filling the baggage area with 150# of salt. Won't be long, it will be tents and sleeping bags I hope.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

oh man just that last sentence gets me excited. Can wait to load that space up! Stoked for you! Sounds like testing is fun! Anyone wear a parachute for any of the test phase? I know it would make me feel more comfortable, even if completely unnecessary, considering the kits long history.

Eddie - do you have an AOA system in your airplane??? If you did - wonder if it warned you before the wing let go??

I'm adding one to my Fox. Looks like you just showed me the real test to put it thru after calibration.

Rodney

Rodney, Yes I do have the AOA but I have yet to bring it on line. I don't recall now why they (Garmin) wanted it turned off but that is what they advised while I am conducting the flight tests. It may be due to the fact that, while testing, I would have to ignore the indications. Not the best practice as one may become used to the indications and subsequently ignore them (even unintentially) when you shouldn't. Im not far from completing the EAA flight test manual then I will beging callibrating the AOA.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X