Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 81 of 120 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    ... But if I still want to land short? I land with 2500 rpm so my elevator has more authority and I come in steeper on approach...
    Do you mean nose-down steeper, or higher angle of attack/steeper descent, Josh? Controlling airspeed is the key for me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

My understanding of the "power curve" has nothing to do with engine power or rpm, it is all about AOA and airspeed. If you are coming in with engine power on it means that you will have to nose up more to keep your AOA the same. Like John, I am finding/still learning after 750 Kitfox hours that precisely controlling airspeed/AOA is the key. At Stick and Rudder I was taught to approach at 60 mph; now this is a safe way to do it for beginners, but I always had trouble making a smooth 3-pointer without bounce and would seem to float forever to bleed off 60 mph down to stall at 43, making it very hard to touch down at a precise spot. Now after getting my "license to learn" I am substantially cutting my approach speeds and doing much better, but it requires precise airspeed control. For quite a while I settled on a 55 mph approach/over-the-fence speed and did much better. Now I am learning to come in over the fence at 50 mph (only in fairly calm, non-gusty conditions) and my 3-point landing accuracy and smoothness have really improved. The 50 mph airspeed requires engine power or else you drop like a rock, but holding AOA and working the throttle gives you very precise sink rate control to hit your spot. A lot of practice up high maneuvering at 50 mph has helped me a lot. I do all this with 1/2 flaps. I am still experimenting with full flaps (wish I had 3/4 flaps) but it does not seem to help much, but I am still experimenting. The full flaps seem to give a somewhat steeper approach, but 50 mph with 1/2 flaps and engine at idle is quite steep enough for me. One thing to be aware of is as you are approaching at a very slow speed like 50 mph, if you give it more throttle to flatten out your descent you must also pull a little more back pressure to maintain the same airspeed/AOA or else you will find yourself at 55 mph. Precise speed control requires constant attention. I like my Dynon AOA indicator that beeps in my ear with an ever increasing beep rate as I approach stall; this allows me to maintain a constant AOA while keeping my eyes outside and not having to constantly be looking down at my panel. Sorry for my long-winded post, but as Josh says, its fun learning all the nuances of this marvelous airplane. I may be slower than others, but still learning after 5 1/2 years and 750 hours.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Do you mean nose-down steeper, or higher angle of attack/steeper descent, Josh? Controlling airspeed is the key for me.
    Higher angle of attack with a steeper descent. Controlling airspeed is the key for the great landing but I find my approach profile at 45kts with 2500rpm and 45kts at idle are very different.

Also, Jim, you’re pretty much bang on describing what I’ve found. 50mph (I use 45knots) and using the power to control my sink rate

the only thing I find different than what you describe is if put power in, I have to push the stick forward slightly or else my nose pitches up from more air over the tail(I’m guessing) and I lose more speed and sink faster. It’s pretty backwards compared to everything I’ve fliwn in the past.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

You are right Josh, I said that backwards. More throttle needs a little more fwd stick to maintain airspeed.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Whatever your training background , you were probably taught to use 1.3 Vs or VSo for a good approach (over the fence) speed. I found out early on with my Series 5 that 1.3 was not a good number under normal circumstances and settled on 1.2 Vso (which for my plane at a solo weight is 55 mph) to eliminate the float. Like the previous posters have said , this doesn't give lots of cushion above stall so speed control (or AOA control if you desire) is of the utmost importance to eliminate bad things from happening. My grass runway is surrounded on all sides by 50-80' tall trees in close proximity to the runway so mechanical turbulence is a given with any wind. In this case 1.2 speed goes out the window and I come in hot,(for mom and the kids) and wheel land , which the Kitfox does wonderfully. Have fun and with practice comes confidence. Bruce N199CL

I agree airlina, gusty turbulent conditions or long paved runways where short spot landings are not required the faster wheel landing is the way to go.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I appreciate all the feedback, even the long ones. It helps when people take the time to convey the ideas.
    I was taught 60mph. I was using 1.3 also, as thats what the test flight manual has me doing. Im not going to go nuts trying to do as you all are since Im new to tailwheels and the Kitfox. Not to mention 25 years Not flying. Ill be patient so I don’t screw it all up but at least I understand where I can proceed from here. Thank you guys for the help.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie - watch these - https://backcountrypilot.org/stol-tips

Not suggesting you jump right into this form of flying, but the videos are instructive.

Another subject: - I really like the way you did your mid-fuselage graphics with the D Day stripes and the Stars n stripes graphic. I'm openly thinking about duplicating just what you did on my airplane.I just think it looks so cool - so could you tell me what the width of your stripes are - and how big the stars n stripes decal is???

ThanksRodney
    Last edited by Rodney; 04-10-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: corrections

Thanks Rodney
    Let me get back to you on the measurements. I believe the stripes are 6 inch but not positive. Ill measure it all tomorrow. More flying planned in the morning.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

AArrgh. Tail wheel shimmy has developed. It was bad enough that it threw a tail wheel spring clean off. Funny thing though, it still handled fine on the taxi to parking. I could feel the rudder pedal was totally free to move on that side without the spring. Found a nice article posted on Backcountry Pilots site. Now on to addressing my issues. I guess mine has showed up now after 12 hrs of flying because I have been incrementally adding fuel weight. This morning I had 3/4 tanks and then after I found the spring and reinstalled it I flew out to another airport where I topped off for the first time. From what I can tell, its the added weight that's squatting the leaf spring enough to cause the shimmy. I have got 13.8 hours on it now and I'm beginning to relax in the air finally. This restricted geographical area I have to fly is probably a good thing since I am having to get used to deal with ATC again after 25 years. Garmin Support has come through for me again. I now have my ADSB In showing up on the G3X. Neat stuff.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X