Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 120 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Thank You Jim
    I will also have the parking break so I guess while I am at Aircraft Spruce tomorrow taking the Sportair Workshop for the electrical class I will buy more break line. Thats quite a bit of line there with the loops and all. I see how that improves things regarding chafing though. Thank you again.
    Eddie

Here is how I did mine. I did put some anti chaff on certain spots that isn't shown here. Even like this it was a pain to bleed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil,

I like how you plumbed the "T" into the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir...that totally does away with trapping a bubble in the unavoidable cavity where the "T" is on its side to meet the "L" going through the firewall...also one less firewall penetration.

Curious how difficult/easy it is to check the brake fluid behind the firewall?
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

With regard to Phil and Jim's install of the parking brake. Phil has two lines while Jim's has four. I am not going to assume although I have an idea. What is the difference between the two installations?
    Eddie

I am sure Phil has 4 lines to the parking brake valve. It needs 4 to work. He just used different fittings and the other 2 lines don't show.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes, my parking brake valve has 4 lines, the other two come out the back side.I think they weren't installed yet in this picture.

I believe the reservoir was installed it on the cabin side like the build manual suggested. I also believe the tee fitting on the reservoir came with the kit and was installed the way it is in the Model 5 build manual.

For checking the fluid level you just need a small stick or rod to use as a dipstick. I am able to remove the top aft cowl and have easy access to the reservoir.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil,

Thanks for the comments. I see the fault in my thinking now....The change to a horizontal "T" & "L" was apparently made with the S7 due to the permanent boot cowl, unlike the complete or partial removable cowl...I still like what you have for the S5 with the vertical "T" and no firewall penetration for the reservoir.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

For anyone who has installed an autopilot. I noticed that Garmin has a device that can be purchased (GAD 27) that incorporates a handful of addtl things into the Garmin G3X touch. I does things like handle interior lighting, adds wig wag to landing/taxi lights etc. etc.. I also noticed there was a function that incorporated the pitch trim servo. Well, its expensive at around $500 as I recall. That leads me to wonder about my pitch trim and how it works in conjunction with the auto pilot servos if at all when I don't buy this thing. I assume I will be trimming out the flight controls before activating the Autopilot? What happens to trim if I turn the autopilot servos on and then have it change airspeed for climb or descent? Do the servos just work harder to maintain control if the pitch trim is not hooked up to the G3X? Anyone Know?
    Eddie

Anyone have any photos to offer for the installation of the pitch and elevator Auto pilot Servos? Interested in seeing how you accomplished that. Garmin Servos due in the mail soon.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Anyone have any photos to offer for the installation of the pitch and elevator Auto pilot Servos? Interested in seeing how you accomplished that. Garmin Servos due in the mail soon.
    If you search the Teamkitfox archives by typing autopilot installation in the search box, some good ideas and photos from other installs. Bruce N199CL