Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

The Grove gear axles and axle mounting pads are machined after the gear is bent to shape as I understand it, so the axles after installation should be properly aligned as well as a machinist can do it. So the chances of having properly aligned wheels right out of the box are very good, compared to the "bush" style gear where everything is a weldment.

That said, I agree 100% that the wheel alignment should be checked before any flight or hi speed taxi because an alignment problem can be quite serious. My Grove gear alignment checked out nearly perfect without any shims, but the factory told me they do find the need for 1 shim occasionally, so apparently they do an alignment check on their SLSA's.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

As to the Grove gear aligning out of the box. Very possible, the gear are formed in a jig and the axels are machined to tolerance. However, the gear shape may shift some during heat treatment, which is done after forming.

Ralph

I guess Greenleaf ID is a Kitfox Coral. Just noticed your location Ralph.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I just updated my profile to Greenleaf last week. My wife and I retired from our business in May. We purchased a lot there last year and are in the middle of relocating, still need to build house and hangar. Plane is still in California. I will need to fly it up here when I have somewhere to keep it out of the weather.

Ralph

Okay, I have measured my wheel alignment. Had to deflate the tires so that the solid wheel was the point of measure. My measurements came out such that I require 1 degree shim on my right wheel and a 1.5 degree shim on the left wheel. Hopefully no wild rides here.
    John, have you made your wheel alignments yet? How much shimming did you need?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie,
    When I did my alignment, I used 2, 3/4 inch nuts as standoffs from the rim. Their tolerance was close enough that it did not change my calculations, but made the process easier getting the straight edge out beyond the tire sidewalls.
    Did you do the alignment with the weight on the wheels and the stress off the gear. Let me explain, when weight is put straight down onto the wheels (as in lowering from a jack) or if they roll with some side load (due to misalignment), the gear will flex and could change your calculations. One way to alleviate this is to use 2 metal plates with oil/grease between them under the tires.

Ralph

My tires are resting on free castering dolly's. I would think that this would free up any binding that could add to toe in or toe out. I suspect that measurements would change if the tail were up into a level flight attitude also but as one dimension is increased then the next would decrease. it's all about the difference so I am feeling OK with it. The directions don't mention flight attitude. Biggest deal for me would be landing in a three point position, at least during first test flights. Am I thinking to little?
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    John, have you made your wheel alignments yet? How much shimming did you need?
    I'm not sure if it's me you're asking Eddie, but I did shim mine. I found that I had very close to straight alignment in the level attitude, but in the 3-point I had 1 deg. of toe-in. It was very close to exactly 1/2 deg. per wheel, referenced to the aircraft centerline. This difference is due to the relatively large amount of camber with the Grove gear. Since it is generally considered de-stabilizing to have toe-in on a taildragger, I added a 1/2 deg. shim to each axle, giving me relatively straight alignment in 3-point and about 1 deg. toe-out when level. I reasoned that 98% of the time that the airplane is rolling around on the ground it's on all three wheels, I will usually land it 3-point, and a little toe-out when wheel landing is likely actually stabilizing. Anyway, the airplane handled much better after the change for me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yep, it was you John. Thanks for the numbers, at least similar to mine. Glad to hear it all works well now.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X