Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Thank you gentlemen

Ok flapperons pretty much assembled. Does anyone care to share their method of ensuring the flapperon mounts are parallel with each other? I figure I could just make measurements at the leading edge as well as the trailing edge and keep those measurements consistent between each one. The manual says that the ribs aren't necessarily parallel with one another so I am just trying not to make minor errors only to need to modify something once there on. I seem to come across neat little tricks people use after I have made my efforts in vain.
    Eddie

If I understand what you are asking, just use a carpenter or machinist square to line up the edge of the flaperon brackets perpendicular to the wing trailing edge.

Of greater importance is making sure the spacing between brackets is exactly right to mate up with the flaperon hinges without binding. Of course that was done when you glued the wing ribs to the spars-right! (assuming you built your wings from scratch-not factory quick build).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim
    I have factory built wings. But rib one was my work and hence my comment on making little errors. I had the same binding issue as Carl mentioned in the rudder pedal torque tube and really don't enjoy having to make adjustments that just add time and effort uneccesarily. So I'm exposing my insecurities out there in the hope all you guys can help keep me from the extra work. I have aircraft maintenance experience but fabrication is new to me and although this is supposed to be a learning experience I really appreciate what everyone adds to the build process with the methods that proved successful for them so that I'm not learning the hard way. I really prefer things done without Jerry Rigging it. Flight controls without binding is good.

Hey Eddie, I just went back to look at what I did and I never posted anything because I lost the pictures.

I remember this being a two person job. Make your marks on your ribs and then with it fully supported in several places so it doesn't sag, put the flapperon in place. If you are like me, your #1 rib won't line up perfectly and you will have to bend a little "S" curve in the hinge on the flapperon. This is pretty typical and lots of people have had to do it. Once it's all in place, shoot the bearings with LPS 1 and you will be amazed at how much of a difference the LPS makes.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but this should get you in the right direction.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh
    I have seen the S curve before. I dread the hole drilling part of this build. I started this project with discovering I have some things to learn about running a drill. I wish my drill had a built in level. the reinforcement plates that are on the ribs don't have a very big flange in which the rivets hold the flapperon brackets on. If I dont get these on straight and drill nearly absolutely perpendicular then the rivets will be awfully close to the edge. Thanks for your input.

Take some small clamps, clamp your brackets to your rib, and back drill through your bracket then add clevos. This way the hole is exactly where you want it and you drill can't wander. Get a second person to stand at the leading edge and tell you which way to angle your drill before you start. Makes a big difference with a second set of eyes.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh
    got the right side mounted today. A bit of S turn in the #1 bracket needed but no binding!

The manual instructs you to place masking tape along the scribe line.
    The first photo reflects the almost imperceivable mark. I am not certain that this is the mark because it seems to be an incidental line of material ( the white stuff that is the outer surface of the fiberglass ) that is remaining from the manufacture process. The second pic is the tape placed on that faint marking. Does this sound or look familiar? I also am not understanding why I am only removing the top surface. Have I just not read far enough to see when I remove the bottom surface?
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

This looks correct Eddie some of the gel coat and around the lights needs to be sanded, superfilled and sanded. Those lines are for reference, I found that you won't follow them to a tee.

Rough cut down to the line with an angle grinder than sand for a straight line.

You do the bottom after the top. You can do it at the same time in my experience. They say to do it one at a time so your tips don't angle down or up but you can adjust that after.

As long as is trimmed to satisfy you aestheticly, you're all good.
    Last edited by Esser; 08-22-2016 at 08:11 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3