Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1196

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Thank you. Wonder why these log books wouldn't have an AD/SB section? I suppose "Notes" pages will suffice. Thankfully, of the three SB on the Rotax so far, none of them have cost me $$$.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Flying has been taking a back seat to other things Im doing lately not to mention weather being an issue in the mornings. Ive been trying to get Doggitz (Fred) up in a Kitfox as he is currently in cover phase and has yet to fly a Kitfox. It was a pleasure to see his J5 Cub that has just been restored. Beautiful airplane. Anyhow, It is always a pleasure to take people up in the plane and this was a very good day for both parties. Fred is sold on the Kitfox but we all know that is the expected result. Fred is out near the coast and has far more experience than I at flying the LAX airspace. He showed me how to transition over LAX on our way to Camarillo for lunch. Now I have a really cool round robin flight path over the area. This transition was the only thing standing in my way up until yesterday. Prior to that, I only did out and back flights. Thanks Fred for the flight and the TAC map.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not wanting to hijack another thread. Harlan, I had apparently punctured the coolant hose twice with safetywire. I use wire pliers to spin the safety wire on the oil tank plug and I believe this is how I got two tiny pin holes in the hose. Only when I squeezed the hose did I find fluid coming through the hose. But that was not the end of it. I had found evidence of something leaking down the side of the radiator but never found it to be wet. I believed I had found the culprit being the pin holes were above and fluid had dripped down. I replaced the hose. I also noted that the hose clamp had been tightened to the point the rubber was squeezing through the hose clamp slots like a Playdough Press toy. Certainly the clamp was tight enough right? Well I put it all back together and never found a leak after running and getting it hot. Flew it. Days later I note a small amount of coolant hanging from the radiator again. No source that I could find. The evidence was still evident on the radiator as it had been discolored from the previous leak. Replace the radiator before I get stranded was my thought. So I did. Flew it a couple hours. Came back to the hangar three days later to find a small puddle on the floor. Well, I discovered that the "Playdough Press" tight was what I needed all along. This time it leaked on the new radiator far worse so I was able to find a new trail of stain on a brand new radiator that was just like the evidence found on the previous radiator. Live and Learn. Why are none of the others leaking? I tightened them all the same best I can recall.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie - a couple comments regarding perplexing leaks/drips on the large coolant hose for the radiator.

1) I have seen coolant hoses coming from the auto parts store with small holes punched near the ends, - vendors sometimes string thin plastic wires through the hose to hang it up somewhere - maybe not commonly done on hoses that come off a reel, more so on "preformed" hoses - wouldn't blame myself without checking this out first.

2) On the ghost coolant leaks - particularily on larger hoses like the 1" (as opposed to the smaller coolant hoses) it is fairly common for the mix of aluminum, rubber and "standard" clamps to come up with cold soak leaks as the materials contract but the "standard" clamp stays the same dimension - so it can drip when cold and be just fine when hot. The problem is with the clamps.

There are constant tension clamps that expand and contract with the other materials while maintaining the correct pressure on the assembly. There are a couple kinds - on the small rotax coolant hoses going to the heads, the spring clamps used are one kind of constant tension clamp.

I had pretty puzzling leaks on my original engine installation just like you indicate, particularily following a really cold night on the hangar - like minus 10F to minus 20F. Ended up getting a different type of reusable constant tension clamp from Fastenall. They have a stack of small diameter cone shaped washers so once the clamp is adjusted properly, the washers account for dimensional changes in the materials and keep the tension on the hose and tube to prevent leaks. The "standard' screw type clamps do not do this. One photo attached - could be better detail but all that I have. They cost more than the standard clamps but deal well with the contraction/expansion of the hose and aluminum tube. These clamps also have a completely smooth inside so rubber doesn't squish out the in the clamp threads.

I am not a fan of overtightening a clamp to stop leaks.

Also - smaller hoses like the ones going to the heater core - seem to have less of a problem due to less expansion/contraction with smaller diameter materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Not wanting to hijack another thread. Harlan, I had apparently punctured the coolant hose twice with safetywire. I use wire pliers to spin the safety wire on the oil tank plug and I believe this is how I got two tiny pin holes in the hose. Only when I squeezed the hose did I find fluid coming through the hose………..Why are none of the others leaking? I tightened them all the same best I can recall.

I guess the bright side would be you have a spare radiator. When I have a spare, nothing goes wrong with that part. Haha
    I am still having the cold weather leak like Dave is talking about, only leaks when below 20 in the hanger. I need to try a spring clamp I guess.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Thanks a bunch Dave, that is good to know. I was a bit embarrassed to post this reveal but, glad I did I suppose. I will definetly look into the Fastenall.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

So, this is terrific news. I have my 912is gearbox torn down for the 600hr maint. recommended when using 100LL. I am now the proud owner of a $1000 paper weight formerly the prop shaft. Spline wear on the shaft noted. Obviously this wear isn't because of lead in fuel. I was present for the work and I noticed nothing that looked contaminated with anything but engine oil. I never run the engine below 1800rpm and I have a slipper clutch. Im told the ULS engine had problems along this line and the repair was an oil jet added to the gearbox housing that lubed this shaft. Well, that is another $1100 part if I chose to replace this absolutely operational gearbox on a 912iS with a 912ULS housing. Not impressed with ROTAX. Really, 600 hours on a 2000hr engine all the while run as recommended and maintained as prescribed?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

So the 912 ULS gear box has this oil spray jet and the 912is does not?

Sorry to hear that Eddie. That is pretty poor parts to wear out in 600 hours IMO.
    If it wore out due to bad design they should help out a bit but I have not had any luck with them on the help part at all.
    They just don't have any competition on LSA airplane engines at this time.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Eddie - sorry to hear of the gear box news. I'm half way to the tear down; maybe I need to start saving my dimes and quarters? BTW - I think Dave is on to something regarding the pin holes. If you accidentally pierced a standard coolant hose with safety wire, well, . . . . . you are THE man. Just saying.