Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5,6,7 Wing rib part numbers

Default Re: 5,6,7 Wing rib part numbers

If my memory is correct, at least with my Kitfox 4, I think it said to temporarily mount the flaperon attachments before you cover the plane. Drill all the holes then. It would be real lousy to have a poor glue joint and push the aluminum backer off the cap strip with the wing covered. JImChuk

I agree JImChuk. Reading ahead, it says that after the wings are covered you relocate the holes by melting a hole in the fabric with a soldering iron. Yeah, that's my biggest fear that something should comes loose.

Back to the aluminum backing strips. In my manual, page W-A-19, Fig W-A-23, it appears in the (vague) diagram that the piece behind the upper cap strip goes all the way to the end of the rib. In Rick's picture it stops short, roughly even with the end of the bottom strip. Not saying it was done wrong, just wondering why it doesn't go to the end. Is it due to the way the brackets are shaped? Thanks

Bruce

Just to be clear, my kit was from 1998 and this is a factory rib. I didn't install the doubler. I assume it doesn't go to the end because the 6 (3 top/bottom) rivets used to install the hinge are all over the capstrip and therefore the doubler. May have been done different on the 4. Heck it may be different from year to year.

Rick

For some additional reference - the attached photo shows how/where the aluminum doublers were placed on our early version S7 (early 2000's).

The instructions called for bonding and riveting the doublers through the rib web.

Guessing that there may be variations depending on when a kit was originally built.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Mine is done the same way. KF4 2002 vintage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, great pics all. Thanks; much more clear and yes done the same way in terms of the top piece. Maybe the mailman will bring me my parts today!

Need to correct my last post. Can't count. There are a total of 8 rivets (4 top/bottom) on each hinge half. My Series 5 does not have the 5th rivet through the trailing edge.

Rick