Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5,6,7 Wing rib part numbers

Default Re: 5,6,7 Wing rib part numbers

Some have a reinforcement doubler on the inside of the cap strip at the rear spar location. I am not sure if this was factory or by builder. I don't have access to my hanger right now because they are painting the hangars. I'll see if I can get to my manual tomorrow or this weekend.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Went to the hangar and grabbed by build manual. It calls out the 27002 as flaperon ribs or "odd number" ribs. After reviewing the document, it looks like the builder adds the upper and lower cap strip rib reinforcement at the rear spar at step 12.
    Sounds like they only use one part number now.
    You might want to check the web thickness as previously mentioned. Put the thicker webs at the hinge locations, with the re-inforcements and you will likely be ok.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Thanks Jeff: I am proceeding as follows: Using the 27001's as even numbered ribs. The unmarked ribs I'm using for odd numbered ribs #1 - #9 . To those I will add the plywood doublers (step 22) and aluminum backing strips (step 23).

As it turns out my kit is missing those alum backing strips (pt. #22908) Can I make them myself? I know the length (4.8in) and width (3/8in) as per manual. But what about thickness. I can get alum at the local hardware store that is 1/16 thickness (I think.) Will that do it? Has anyone micro'd the thickness of their strips? Many thanks - Bruce VP-22 - New Bern, N.C. Sure would like to make contact with a local Kitfox builder/flyer in ENC!

.065". Im sure you could make these. I am not sure but the material is pretty stiff. It resembles the 6061-T6 aluminum sheet that I bought for a new electrical tray I made. I used .050" thick for the tray. Aircraft Spruce sells it in 2x2 sheets. I bet they have .065" also. The trouble I would have making these is the radius on my factory parts is much tighter than what I would achieve using my Harbor Freight sheet metal bender. It will require the tight radius in order for the rivets to land correctly on the flange and not have the radius involved. Im sure Kitfox will sell these at a reasonable cost.

Bruce

FYI I didn't see you mention what model you have. On my Series 5 there is a doubler on the top and bottom of the rib for the flaperon hinge. Mine have been covered with epoxy varnish so it was hard to get an accurate reading but I would say it averaged .030. The 5 has the hinge on the top and bottom. I'm pretty sure Eddy is building a 7 and the flaperons are hung different with what I believe is one hinge the top. You should probably check with John or Debra at the factory to determine the best way to go depending on your model. Part numbers may have changed over the years but on mine P/N 22908.000 shows FS Al2024-T3 .020;.4x48. I got the quick wing option so I can't confirm this is what was used for the doubler.

Rick

Thanks Rick:
    I have a 4-1200; manual says 1992. I appreciate the measurements and advice. I spoke with John on Monday. The parts (#22908) cost $3, less than the shipping so I thought why not make them myself. John didn't have the exact specs (on hand) thus my inquiry here. I've since decided to order them. Seems it's not as easy as it first sounded, as efwd pointed out, and as a first time builder, I've got my hands full just assembling this wing let along making my own parts! I did install the plywood doublers today, so that's progress! And yes, thanks, John was very clear about the difference between the 7 and Classic IV flaperon hinges, pointing out that you can't use the 7 hinge on the older wing set up. I guess that hinge has advantages over what I have and some people adapt it somehow. Anyhow, I just emailed in my order and added some Hysol to justify the shipping.

Bruce

Bruce
    you can use the newer flap hinge (Series 7). My Series 5 came with both and the previous owner installed the newer hinges.
    The aluminum double is prob .030. I'll check my parts manual and let you know.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Jeff:
    That will be good to know, thanks. I found some stock alum but would have had to cut it length wise, problem #1, and wasn't sure of thickness, problem #2. Didn't want to risk the rivets pulling through if too thin or not seating properly if too thick. Truth be told, my manual doesn't show a clear view of the backing strips and I wasn't sure if I'd fab them correctly anyway. Best to be safe. Debra hooked me up: $6 for enough to do both wings. Maybe when I get them I'll feel foolish for not making them myself but this is a huge learning curve for a former ultralight guy. Bruce
    At this point my anti drag brackets/tubes are clecoed in place, ribs prepped and notched. Waiting to install alum backing strips before I can proceed with reassembly and epoxy of all pieces.

Bruce

Maybe this helps100_0215.jpg

Rick

Great shot. I assumed it went all the way to the end of the cap strip. Now I see otherwise. Very helpful - thanks.