Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

Default Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

Hello, I am installing a 912is and am trying to figure out the best routing for the radiator hose on the left side. It seems that the hose coming out of the engine can either go very close to the exhaust or route behind the ring mount. In both cases, it seems hard to get the proper routing to the radiator. Does anyone have any good pics on how the routing can be done? Thanks, Eric

Default Re: Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

HI Eric,

I know what you are talking about - it gave me some angst too. I ended up coming between the ring mount and the exhaust, covering it all in good fire proof/heat shield and tying it back tot he ring mount with stainless steel cable tie. The gives a good inch clearance between the exhaust and the covered hose. It was stayed put for 170hrs now and shows no sign of heat affecting the heat shield. I did try running it between the ring mount and engine but too much opportunity for chaff there I thought. I don't have a pic with me at the moment - can take one when next down the hanger if nobody else chimes in. Just make sure to protect the rig mount from wear from the SS cable tie.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

That has bugged me too. I've had a couple of issues with radiators (somewhat because I'm just too darn fussy), and I'm having a custom aluminum radiator built with the inlet coming out the back of the radiator tank. I think It'll be a much cleaner installation with the hose routed through an area where there is not a lot going on instead of so close to the exhaust pipe, carburetor, etc. I'll try to post pictures if it works out. I'm also using all silicone hose for the radiator & heater circuit - I know that there are some guys out there who are just shaking their heads now, but when I build something, especially an airplane, I have to be really satisfied with it - just the way I am. I get a lot of satisfaction from the whole build process. That, and flying my Thorp helps me to keep my sanity!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks Ross and John! I think your idea Ross with the heat shield and SS tie wrap will be the way I go. Also, I have a couple other questions that have come up. One, the FWF kit instructions have you attach a #6 ground wire to the back of the engine block via a threaded hole, but it does not seem to supply the bolt/washer for that. Did your kit come with it? Second question is about the exhaust pipe. The instructions say that the Rotax (which I have) exhaust may protrude into the side of the cowl & implies that you could shorten it a bit if needed. Did you do that & if so did you have to relocate the spring attach weldment?

Thanks!

Eric

G'day Eric,

No, I didn't find a bolt for the 6# wire and chose to ground it in a more convenient spot where I could easily inspect it for being tight. I think it was a M6 bolt needed from memory but don't take my word for that! I will take a pic later today when I go down the hanger.

As for the exhaust - no, I didn't shorten the exhaust. I think there is a thread on this site about just that but I concluded that it was best to keep it long and direct the hot exhaust away from the fabric and paint. However, I think a lot of guys have shortened it and/or raked it back as well.

How are you going with the wiring of the 912is Eric? Now that was a good challenge!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoern View Post
    Thanks Ross and John! I think your idea Ross with the heat shield and SS tie wrap will be the way I go. Also, I have a couple other questions that have come up. One, the FWF kit instructions have you attach a #6 ground wire to the back of the engine block via a threaded hole, but it does not seem to supply the bolt/washer for that. Did your kit come with it? ...
    Eric,
    I brought the #6 ground wire to one of the tabs on the back of the H.D. starter. That (body of the starter) is where the heavy current flows, and that is also directly connected to the engine of course. That is where they connect the engine ground on the S-19 Rans. I brought a much smaller wire/jumper (#14) from there up to the hole on the cylinder just for the heck of it, so the important ground for the ignition system has 2 connection paths at the engine. That threaded hole is indeed 6 mm. I got a bolt at my local Ace Hardware.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks again John and Ross! Very helpful. Ross, I have only completed (or nearly completed) the #6 wires on the engine side. I know there is plenty more in front of me for this engine. I have installed the engine fuse box, ECU (behind panel) and the solenoids & battery. I have not started the panel yet. If you want to send me any lessons learned for the 912Is, that would be fantastic!

Eric

Hey Eric

here are some pics of the hose and the earth wire.

this shows the earth attach from the top- note that it is on the cylinder and just under the air filter. Next one shows from below.

IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4603.jpg

this shows the hose route - it doesnt look like there is much room between the exhaust and the hose but there is about 11/4". Note 2 stainless ties, heat/fire proof cover. Ties go around the ring mount frame which is protected from the SS ties with some hose.

IMG_4610.jpg

I found the FWF wiring easy. It was marrying the Lane A and Lane 4 cables to my avionics and EMS plus the house system that tested my (limited) electrical skills! Getting my head around the starting system was probably the hardest - it took me a while to realise that when they were talking about a 'backup battery switch' they were not talking about connecting a back-up battery but a switch that you could flick to power the system in the case of all else failing! - a pretty unlikely event given that everything is doubled up.

anyway, best wishes with it and happy to share anything else if you need it.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Thanks Ross! These pics are very helpful.

Eric

I’m running into this same issue. I’d like to mount it as some have between the exhaust and the ring mount but if I bend the Rotax hose in that way it runs against the temp sensor.

I found a pre-bent hose that might work at the auto parts store. I’m hesitant for a couple reasons...the main one being how far back I have to cut the Rotax hose to make it work.

Thoughts on using a pre formed auto hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk