Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

Default Re: Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

Seems there are several of us near the same stage of the build. I'm just completing the 912is wiring - the individual wires that is. I wrapped up this evening's work after managing to get the HIC connectors fed through the firewall. I'll suggest feeding these large connectors and harnesses before running individual wires such as the Start / Backup Battery switch wires. Eventually the wires will be neatly bundled but, at this point, it's just a jumble of wires.

Nice to have a heads up on the radiator hose before I get to that point.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I believe I rectified the contact on the temp probe by securing the oil line with clamps or wire ties or something. Wire ties on the engine mount is ill advised from what I understand so I wrap sillicone self adhesive tape around the tubes first. Gives a wire tie something to grip on to.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I made sure there was good fire proof/heat proof tube over the water house and used adel clap around the engine mount to provide a good base for tying the hose to. Although the hose ( r more specifically the fire hose) touched the EGT probe and it being close to the exhaust pipe, there was no issue in 500hrs operation.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks for the tip Ross and Eddie. Any chance you have some pictures? Im also wondering what is the best way to secure/protect from chafe tubes that cross and are close the the muffler exhaust? You will see where I mean on the left side of my engine.

Carl here are some more pictures of how I did the rest of mine. Maybe it will save you some head scratching. I routed the right side outside of the rear headed because I thought it was top tight behind as the manual seems to describe.

Also if anyone sees anything ill-advised let me know!

IMG_0263.jpgIMG_0262.jpgIMG_0261.jpgIMG_0260.jpgIMG_0259.jpg

does anyone have some good final pics of how they ran the coolant hose here? I'm stuck trying to find the best solution.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

This is what I ended up doing. Made the most sense to me. Everything else on my engine seemed too tight, high chafe risk, or too close to exhaust. My thinking here is at least I’m below the hottest part of the exhaust (heat rises right?!?) and shielded where it’s close. The cabin heater hose helps to secure the system and nothing touches anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's how I've started mine. Oil line will be attached to help hold everything in place.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Where do you buy the shiny insulation wrap shown in Joe's post #16? And how is it secured to the hoses.

I also be picking up a length of the orange 3/4" fireshield. Are only the fuel and oil lines covered?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hi Carl, it is self adhesive and can be bought at AS&S among other places. I find it at speed shops and McFadden Dale hardware as well if those are around you. It isn't inexpensive. I Used it on the lower cowl to protect against the muffler and I put some around the spot that the stinger comes through. You may have leftover to wrap the hose if you chose to get enough to do the other spots. If you go to AS&S and search Heat Shield, you will see lots of stuff to use. The 1.5" wide tape seems reasonably priced.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yup that is where I got it too and what I did exactly.