Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

Default Re: Radiator hose routing on 912iS (left side)

Carl, I bought a heat shield sleeve from LEAF. I think I bought 12 inches and sleeved the radiator hose from the heater hose intersection toward the top of the engine. I highly recommend protecting the hose. I had an issue during taxi tests, and burned a hole in the hose and had to replace it. This hose is easy to remove, but very difficult to get it back on. A sleeve may be easier installed than trying to wrap the hose in that tight space.

John

I miss cut the fire sleeve when installing the high pressure fuel lines. A local industrial supply was a convenient place to buy a replacement and, since the stuff wasn't expensive, I casually tossed the cut pieces and started over. Today I noticed the "aircraft grade" numbers on the fire sleeve at AS&S and realized the local product wasn't the right stuff. So AS&S got an order for a few feet of fire sleeve (~$15/ft), some thermal wrap and a thermal mat to protect the lower cowling from the nearby exhaust. The high pressure fuel lines aren't going to simply slip off the fittings so I also purchased a length of high quality, Gates Barricade high pressure hose.

Really appreciate the information on this thread.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I'm finally returning to installation of the oil cooler and radiator hoses on a 912iS with oil cooler. One of the first steps with the 912iS is to move the oil return port to the bottom, pilot side of the engine. Instructions and drawings in the Oil Cooler Installation section clearly show the return hose running from the top of the oil reservoir to a return line located at the front of the engine. After lots of head scratching, I'm concluding the Oil Cooler plumbing instructions are "general" and for the 912iS, the return line goes to the fitting on the bottom of the engine. Any comments?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Looking at oil line plumbing, without the oil cooler, cleared up the issue. The oil line is show going to the bottom, pilot side of the engine where the fitting was relocated. I just needed to fret a bit and make this problem more difficult that it actually is. Probably because I really don't want to be shopping for new hoses if I cut these incorrectly!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hey Carl, welcome back. Been wondering.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Very happy the oil lines are installed. Those push to connect fittings are neat but are a royal pain when your only tools are a couple of oven mitts, a few drops of soap, and a pan of boiling water. The job looks neat when completed and the flame shield certainly has a clean fit.

I was careful to use a second wrench when tightening the fittings on the oil cooler and got them fairly snug. Even when tight, those two fittings can be wobbled a bit. Is this normal? Possible oil leak?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

On mine there was some movement. When under pressure they seal.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

As you have undoubtedly heard, yesterday was not a good day to fly (VFR) here in Southern CA. I stayed home. Sorry Carl.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Understood Eddie and thanks for the feedback Dustin.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X