Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Term use of AVGAS in a 582 (any issues)?

Default Long Term use of AVGAS in a 582 (any issues)?

One of the guys in our EAA Chapter would like to do some cross country flying and is using a 582. The area will not have much, if any, access to mogas. AVGAS will be primary fuel source.

He has concerns over excessive carbon buildup and lead deposits etc. Do any of you run AVGAS on a regular basis in your two strokes and what have you realized as far as performance and carbon issues?
    Last edited by LSaupe; 07-27-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Default Re: Long Term use of AVGAS in a 582 (any issues)?

Decalin. Buy a bottle from Kitfox Aircraft or Spruce. About $20 or so. Lasts a long time and takes the lead out of 100LL. Just pour in the right amount in your fuel tank, then fill with 100LL. I always use it when I travel out of my local area.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Question,
    What, if any, is the effect when refueling and mixing 100LL with Decalin and MOGAS with, or without ethanol?
    Lou
    KitFox II

As I understand it (I'm no expert), Decalin eats or dissolves the lead in avgas, thus eliminating the lead build up in the engine. Therefore, if you mix it with fuel that has no lead there would be no effect other than the added expense of using the Decalin when it is not needed.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

My understanding about Decalin is that it does not eat the lead but keeps it in suspension and does not allow it to settle out within the engine. It stays in the fuel and blows out the exhaust after the combustion process. That is why 100LL users with Decalin will find the inside of their exhaust system slowly becoming coated with "solder".
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Decalin converts lead to lead phosphate which is a powder you can wipe off. Without Decalin the lead in 100LL converts to lead oxide during combustion - which is hard as a rock!

I have never heard of anyone suffering "solder" like buildup using Decalin - any references?

Over 900 hours of only 100 LL use with Decalin and zero build up of anything unusual in the exhaust system. On oil changes I do find a small amount of really fine lead particles in the very bottom of the oil sump but a quick wipe with a paper towel and the bottom of the can is clean again. No spark plug fouling ever either. Engine runs as new.
    No idea what the inside of the combustion chambers look like but suspect very little accumulation as again the engine performs as new. I have had the gear box off twice for re-shimming in the mentioned 900 hour period and saw no accumulation there either time. This a 912 uls 100 hp. Rotax.

My model 3 with a 912 80 hp. also saw the same results after 1,100 hours of 100LL with Decalin use.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My reference to "solder" build-up in the exhaust came from someone who had to open up his muffler to do some welding repair. He had been using 100LL and Decalin for some time with no problems, but noticed this coating inside the muffler. I agree, I have never heard of any problems because of it, and maybe this one instance is all there is. It does sort of make some sense because Decalin does not claim their product converts ALL the lead to lead phosphate, so some lead escapes and may collect in the muffler. Anyway, apparently nothing to worry about.
    I believe the "solder" incident was reported in either this forum or Van's Airforce forum, but I can't locate it now. Maybe someone else remembers it?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    One of the guys in our EAA Chapter would like to do some cross country flying and is using a 582. The area will not have much, if any, access to mogas. AVGAS will be primary fuel source.

He has concerns over excessive carbon buildup and lead deposits etc. Do any of you run AVGAS on a regular basis in your two strokes and what have you realized as far as performance and carbon issues?
    I've had a 582 quit on take off because of avgas. Had maybe 30 hours because of long cross country. Top of piston, inside of head, entire exhaust looked like it was powder coated white. Rings stuck, cylinders scored. Rotax shop knew exactly what I was talking about. No idea why there isn't a warning in service letters.

Decalin may help but I would avoid if possible.

Mark Napier
    Building a KF IV Classic

No idea why there isn't a warning in service letters.
    It is in the operating manual, page 10-8. "Due to its high lead content AVGAS forms increased lead deposits in the combustion chamber and lead sediments in the oil system. Therefore use AVGAS only if you encounter problems with vapour lock or if the other fuel types are not available."

Having said that, I'm glad you came out unscathed! I don't think the Rotax warning as printed, is sufficient. Engines running 100LL need to be operated differently, and that usually is never covered.

To burn off the lead oxide, the engine needs to be run at higher than idle speeds and shut down from a higher speed. Lead oxide builds up more and faster at lower temperatures.

Running rich exacerbates the buildup.

Higher temp plugs are also wise.

Mixing 100LL and auto fuel makes the problem much worse - you should only use one or the other. Auto fuel adds reactants that promote (help) 100LL build deposits.

Personally, I wouldn't use 100LL in any water cooled engine (with or without Decalin) - they generally don't run hot enough to effectively burn off the lead oxide (change it to lead bromide). IMHO