Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dynon Pitot

Default Re: Dynon Pitot

The pitot definitely is in clear air but, as close as the tube comes to the lift strut, I would be nuts not to mount the wing on the plane and make sure the mounting location has clearance.

Always like to see pictures of that workshop / hanger.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

This is the plate that is available from the factory. It is pre-routed to overlap the capstrip and fit between a false rib and main rib.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Installed....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that picture Brandon. I'll fire up my handy-dandy Dremel / Belt Sander wood working shop and make something along the same lines.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post

If you look at mine, you'll see I do not have the bottom false ribs in my wing. I made a bridge between the two ribs for an aluminum plate. Then mounted the pitot closer to the inboard rib to give clearance to the lift strut.

I have no flow interference and the readings are accurate and stable through the AOA range.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Great position for it Larry. Nice and protected there.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Dynon Pitot location

This is a bit of an older thread but I can't seem to find any other info on the forum. I'm trying to install my Dynon pitot mast this weekend in my left wing, so I can get ready for cover.
    Instructions call for placement 35" forward from trailing edge on the inboard side of the 7th rib, which is located outboard of the lift struts. Any reason why or recommendation against better protecting the pitot tube by placing it inboard of the lift strut attachments and away from the jury struts? Larry (builder below) mentioned AOA readings from his placement were not affected but a buddy did just mention in a text I could have an issue with prop wash if its located too inboard.

I realistically don't see myself mounting a Onewheel or anything crazy on my left wing. The only downside I can see could be routing wire and tubing length due to having to go back out further to end of wing and route through end of the spar.

I doubt it matters but I'm build an STi wing.

Any comments are appreciate. Thanks!

Kevin

I put mine where the manual states and I kind of wish I would have put mine inside the lift strut like others. Seems like I regularly catch myself about to hit it when walking under the wing and so have others.

I do have an install tip...... if you mount it where the manual says, on mine, the bottom of the pitot tube hit the top of the elevator when I folded the wings. I had to cut about 3/4" off the mast to get clearance. That was a lot of fun trying to cut it straight, free hand, under the wing, upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    I put mine where the manual states and I kind of wish I would have put mine inside the lift strut like others. Seems like I regularly catch myself about to hit it when walking under the wing and so have others.

I do have an install tip...... if you mount it where the manual says, on mine, the bottom of the pitot tube hit the top of the elevator when I folded the wings. I had to cut about 3/4" off the mast to get clearance. That was a lot of fun trying to cut it straight, free hand, under the wing, upside down.
    Thanks Jerry,
    I called KitFox today and spoke w John. The location recommended is where they did all their testing, so it's the recommended location but I agree with you. I am still leaning toward the placements inside my lift strut. Granted, they're basically all Cessnas but every high wing on the Tarmac today I drove by on my way to my hangar had the pitot mast inside the lift strut.
    I'm thinking of throwing my wings back on my fuselage this weekend just to better visualize where it would actually sit and how far forward it needs to be to have clean air but I'm going to try to make it work! Only time will tell.

Kevin

After many years of use, I have no regrets mounting where it did. I have verified accuracy against the GPS on several occasions and there appears to be no interference from the strut or prop wash.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos