Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ring Mount on a Model IV?

Default ring Mount on a Model IV?

Has anyone ever put a ring mount on a model IV?
    I am going to install a new 80HP Rotax 912 and am considering the advantage or not of the ring mount. Looks like a lot of work and modification and I want to be sure its a good idea.
    Any input from experience or guesstamation will be helpful.

Default Re: ring Mount on a Model IV?

I put a ring mount on my 1992 version Model IV. My intention was to get the baggage sack capacity I lost when I put all the ribs and fairings on the tail of my first IV. Then I had to placard the baggage sack to max 20 lbs. This time, the empennage was even heavier as I had servo controlled trim on both rudder and elevator plus all the ribs, gap seals and fairings as on the first one. I kept pretty good records on the weights I added with the mods this time and figured it to be about 6.5 lbs. at the eleven foot arm. I calculated about two inches forward on the engine CG would give me what I needed. A significant side benefit was the ability to place the oil tank in a more favorable position vertically.

I think the CG might be the major issue. As my intention was to move the engine forward I didn't consider the geometry of doing it at the same arm especially because my intent also included a repositioning of the oil tank. I should also mention, that my ring mount was 100% home brew.

This shows the right side with the oil tank mount aft and below the exhaust stack
    IMG_1033.jpg

The left side with a clear view of the ignition module bracket
    IMG_1032.jpg

The ring mount fuselage side.
    Engine mount 3.jpg

The isolator set-up
    engine mount shock rings.jpg

The custom home brew rubber isolators
    Shock mount.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I wish I had seen these mods in time.

You're my hero, Lowell…

How much did you have to mod the cowling?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hero? I see things done by guys - you included - that fit that description, but me, i think i am more addicted to tinkering than anything else. The cowling was an expected project. I added about two inches to the aft edge of the bubble cowl. But the unexpected part was when I fitted the aft cowl and found that the repositioned oil tank interfered near the bottom. My engine was a used engine and the oil tank had some slight denting at the lower edges so I assumed it was made from an annealed stainless steel, so that problem was managed by doing some body work on the lower edge with a hammer. The hammering worked well, but looked really rough, so some micro and a coat of paint took care of that. I probably have the only painted oil tank in the fleet and it was to cover an unintended glitch.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel