Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ELT Question

Default ELT Question

I just replaced the battery in my Kannad 406 ELT and the new battery has a 6 year life, Now during condition inspections you are required to replace the battery's every 2 years, The new battery kit came with a new sticker which I need to write the expiration date on, So do I write year 2022 or write 2018 and replace the sticker in two years? There is no way I am buying a new battery every 2 years.

Default Re: ELT Question

Who or where is the two year requirement coming from?

Personally, I'd put 2022 on it and leave it until then.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

FAR 91.207 stills says the battery needs to be replaced after 1 hour continuous use or 50% of the useful life of the battery. That would be three years in your case.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

This has been debated many times. The FAR also says: as established by the transmitter manufacturer under its approval. If the manufacturer places a 6 year expiration date on the battery itself that is the half life "as established by the transmitter manufacturer under its approval". It therefore expires in 6 years not 3 or 2. Just ask Kannad and let us know what they say. I also believe it is written in all of their manuals.

The FAR idiocy of "50% of useful life" was really meant to be "shelf life" as some ELT's used basic, generic, disposable D cell batteries that have "shelf life" dates on them. So the ELT manufacturer had/have no control over determining how long they might last, so the FAA in their vast experience and infinite wisdom determined 50% was a good number.

If the ELT and battery are made by the same manufacturer and the battery is prescribed to be the correct replacement battery for that ELT and they put an expiration date on the battery - that's the batteries expiration date. They have control over what they make, test and sell so they are allowed to prescribe the expiration dates "under its approval".

Greg