Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating an SS-7 - Newbie builder

Default Contemplating an SS-7 - Newbie builder

I am about to pull the trigger on a SS7...more likely when I am at Oshkosh. I hear there are some new goodies coming from Kitfox (read that somewhere here)

I have read the manual cover to cover...really like the way it has been laid out and it does make sense.

I have a few questions.
    1. Looking for any SS7 builders in the Toronto, ON area.
    2. Electrical is my weakest skill, somehow I find it overwhelming at best..yes I have read the Aeroelectric book - sort of makes sense.

1. I am planning on using Vertical Power VPX-Pro purely for the reason of going to 24V - any suggestions if this would be overkill

3. Covering - here I will be going with Stewart Systems

1. Can you mix the systems...ie use Stewart Systems and Polyfibre paint for example.

4. Engine will be either UL Power or Rotax 915 - going to put floats on -any recommendations?

Looking forward to the hearing from the group on whether I have lost my mind or not.

Default Re: Contemplating an SS-7 - Newbie builder

Congrats Alan on your decision to build a Kitfox 7SS.

It will make a wonderful float plane. The 915 should be a great choice for that mission. I'm sure as with new releases of Rotax engines in the past, Kitfox Aircraft will be on the forefront of fitting it to this air frame and designing a comprehensive firewall forward kit for it.

Vertical Power's simplest offering was considered for my build but I ended up unable to justify the price for the less than complicated electrical system I plan to use. Not sure what benefits of running a 24 volt system brings. You may have studied that way more than I.

Paul from Wisc. has discussed in great detail float options and you may want to do a search for float threads and posts. He is our resident float guru and we much appreciate his experience and generosity on our forums. I would love to try a 7SS on floats. Alas, not much water in the desert S.W. for sea planes to play on.
    I went with Poly Fiber so no help on the Stewart System. It is gaining in popularity here.

Have you decided on options?
    I went with the Laker Leading Edge and the quick build wing options.

Best of luck on your build. Enjoy AirVenture 2016 as I'm sure this one will stand out over all the others for you.
    Congrats again Alan.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Electrical was also my weakest skill, but it sounds like you are a reader and you can learn all you need for these simple electrical systems by reading and gathering info from knowledgeable sources. Yes, I think 24v would be overkill; why complicate a basic proven system. Personally I have heard more bad than good about the UL Power engine. The Rotax 912ULS powers many Kitfox float planes, and the turbo 914 or new 915 would surely be a real performer. Definitely don't mix systems in the covering process; however when it comes to just the final color finish coats I am not sure so will let others answer on this.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The only advantage I see to 24v is reduced wire sizes and that would be hardly worth it for the amount of wiring in these aircraft. The upside to 12v is availability of tons of EXP instruments & avionics that you probably can't find near as many wide choices in 24v. The other advantage to 12v is many things (if in a bind) can be found off the shelf in an auto parts store.

Personally I have heard more bad than good about the UL Power engine.
    Jim, if you have any references, I'd love to hear/see/read them. I've been following the UL 350 series now for years and after you understand their paper ratings (it's the ONLY complaint I've heard and had myself) seems everyone one I've talked to and read about, has been more than satisfied with them. There were some early issues with alternator fans and a recent one for fuel line replacements - no known incidents resulted and all addressed by UL. I've not heard of one complaint about performance/service/reliability. There are more than a few running now particularly on Zeniths and Just Aircraft. Please advise.

Greg

Don't sweat the electrical stuff. There are enough of us here to guide you through it. I woulldn't go with the Vertical Power system unless you really needed a dual bus redundant system. With LED lighting and modern avionics you should be able to go with a 12 volt sytem without compromise. These are still basically VFR machines so simplicity tends to rule.

If you're a first time builder, I would tend to favor the majority proven powerplant. Each Rotax engine that's rolled out has had it's own issues to resolve. You don't want to be a pioneer unless you favor tinkering over flying.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Alan, I am using the VP-X Sport with the 12 volt setup. So far I love it. Electrical scared the heck out of me, but my hangar neighbor (building an RV-14, full IFR) is an electrical guru and helped me get on the right track. He is using the VP-X Pro with 24 volt setup. I agree with the others, use the 12 volt setup for the SS7. I used the Stewart System and loved it except for the painting. I had never painted before, so it was probably just me. The Stewart brothers are great to work with. Back on the VP-X, go to their website and you can print out all of the installation help that you will need. I installed the Dynon SkyView and it works well with the VP-X Sport. Chad Jensen with Vertical Power can answer any questions you may have. His phone is 1(920)216-3699. Good luck with your build.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Danzer, I don't mean to slam the UL Power engine, its just that in my small world I have HEARD more bad than good about it. The bad things had to do with actual power being 10+% lower than advertised, various technical issues which the company is addressing, lack of props available for their somewhat higher than normal direct drive speeds, and more than usual single point failure possibilities. All these issues are argued both ways by various people on several forums and I am not prepared to argue one way or another. IMHO I would be leery because where there is smoke there is quite often fire. Just my opinion/recommendation which is what alandbrooks asked for.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank you so much for the word's an encouragement...it is great to know there are members out there willing to assist and express opinions.

I am sure my decision is the right one....

Alan

The bad things had to do with actual power being 10+% lower than advertised
    To be objective - the only independent dyno test I have ever heard of on a 350is, is this one by Scott Ehni: http://www.zenith.aero/video/ul350is-dyno-test

Anything other than a dyno test is totally speculation as there are way to many other variables to consider to even be worthwhile.

Cheers

Everyone heard bad things about rotaxes when they first came out too...now everyone loves them. Unless you have personal experience with something, I don't think it helps to give hearsay advice.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3