Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Carl - wouldn't want to stop anyone from adding an inspection hole but in the event my DAR would want the same close up as yours, I brought a bore scope to the party just in case he asked. He didn't.

Found an old thread with a really neat idea for making it easier to work on the glare shield <> boot cowl fitting. The idea came from JohnB in the thread - https://tinyurl.com/yytknsjo

The windshield, boot cowl, and glare shield all join along the back of the boot cowl. The glare shield needs to be marked and trimmed to fit neatly while the windshield in the way. John substituted the curved cutoff strip from the windshield and had wonderful access to the area. Trial fits of the glare shield are a breeze. Here area a couple of photos from the thread. In the first, you can see the blue tape holding the Acrylic strip in place. The second shows how easy it is to work on the glare shield.

GlareShield - John.jpgGlareShield 2 - John.jpg
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Planning to make the 20 minute move to the small, grass strip airport in a few short weeks. An airport neighbor has an enclosed tractor trailer rig and has moved several planes around the country. I'm so appreciative not to be making the move on an open trailer! The shock of the pending move has me scurrying to finish the few remaining small items on the list. It is so convenient and comfortable to step into the air conditioned garage with a full set of tools, great lighting, and a nearby icebox. On the other hand, I only want to put the wings and tail feathers on one more time. And I'm really looking forward to flying this airplane!

With most of the upholstery in place I can finally sit comfortable in the cockpit and play with all of the switches. Discovered a wiring error between the Garmin system and the Rotax that took a couple of days of investigating. Turned out to be a small nick in some wiring that look very neat in it's tight fitting shrink wrap. Corrected the problem and it's nice to see engine instruments on the display. Once the wings are on with the magnetometer plugged in, I can go through the Garmin lengthy configuration.

Another full day was taken up mounting the rudder. I neglected to clearly mark the swivel "rod ends" that screw into the vertical stabilizer to support the rudder. Nor did I count threads for alignment. Aligning the rudder was easier before it was covered. You can make measuring tools by bending paper clips but you have to partially remove the rudder to turn the rod end. That middle rod end is particularly irritating as you make repeated 1/2 turn adjustments. Once everything was aligned there was the routine of dropping a nut, hearing it rattle around in the rudder, removing the rudder, and starting over. Finally settled on a ratcheting, box end wrench with a piece of tape blocking one side of the wrench and the nut and washer taped together until the nut caught on the bolt. A calming audio book helps!

I have plenty of tail dragger time. Most of it was towing gliders which is a great way to rack up landings. Of course this was many, many years ago. I started taking refresher lessons with another airport neighbor who is a CFI and happens to own a couple of tail draggers. One is this beautiful Waco he just purchased. The other is his 1946 Stinson that we train in. I'm actually have some success negotiating the trade of Kitfox and Waco rides. The big difference is I'll trust him to land the Kitfox. I'd never dream of trying to land his baby on our small grass strip lined with trees on one end.

Waco2.jpg
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Great nugget of info on the glare shield/boot cowl. Excellent to have airport neighbors like that and a grass strip as well!

Enjoy and all the best on your move.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I'm mystified, or maybe disgruntled, or maybe there is a string of words that one shouldn't use on the forum to describe my mood this evening.

Way back before anything was covered, the rudder was installed and the rudder stops were set to the desired 25 degree of swing in both directions. I clearly remember doing the job and the box is checked off in the build manual. One of today's tasks was to cut and swage the rudder cables. Being nervous about cutting these cables, a cable clamp was used to temporarily hold the nicopress and cable bushings in place for testing. Everything looked good until I noticed the rudder didn't seem to be swinging evenly on both sides. Went through the process of putting a dot on the floor directly under the rudder bolts, marking the full deflection on both sides, and measuring the angles. The rudder swings 27 degrees to starboard, you know - the passenger's side, but only 17 degrees to port. I cannot remember if the fuselage was still in the rotisserie when the angles were set originally. If it was, the tail was held pretty far off the ground, high enough so the fuselage could be inverted for covering, and maybe the rudder wasn't truly vertical when being swung for measuring. Not sure if that would make the difference, but the angles aren't correct.

Thank goodness the problem was noticed before cutting the cables. Now it's a few rounds of removing the rudder, grinding away a bit of the limit stop, remounting the rudder, and measuring. When I mentioned this routine to my wife over dinner she said she was going to be very busy with her own work for the rest of the evening. She's helped with this job before. For a humorous thread on mounting a covered rudder, read the thread https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ost+mind+today
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I sympathize Carl but glad you caught it in time. Disgruntled at times is a feeling understood by many aircraft builders.😉

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

"Disgruntled at times is a feeling understood by many aircraft builders."

Lol, now that's an understatement!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I feel your pain. I was doing the cables last week and did similar - using a clamp to hold them in place first. Good thing I did as I found that when they had tension on them, the rudder pedals were not even on both sides. I was sure I tested this early on before covering - regardless, I had a problem. I ended up having to add extenders to the connection at the rudder adjustment on one side only. After that I also realized that one of the break cylinders didn't have enough umph to push the pedal back after being depressed. A little loosening a little filing a little swearing and the pedal isn't as tight on the rotation point allowing it to return to normal position. I don't know that I'm totally happy with it. I plan on re-visiting it next week when I'm less mad about it.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Ah ha!! More common experiences. Sharing is good for the soul.

Wasted a day fiddling with plumb bobs then a laser pointer attached to the back of the rudder trying to place dots on the garage floor to measure the swing angle. Every measurement was slightly different than the time before. Finally hit upon the idea of holding a piece of poster board along the top of the vertical stabilizer and rudder. Traced the shape of the stabilizer, to make it easier to keep in position, and drew a dot at the "swing point" of the rudder. Drew three dots with the rudder centered and hard in either direction. I'll mount the elevator tomorrow just to make certain the clearances are correct when the swing angle is adjusted.

Hoping to move the plane to the airport in a couple of weeks and trying to make certain everything that can be completed in the comfort of the home garage is checked off the list.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X