Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Thank you for the kind words Matthew. Definitely start a build log on the forum. You will make several friends and receive almost instant responses whenever you have a question. This forum is a wonderful resource for Kitfox builders.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Trepidation doesn't begin to describe my nervousness in making the first cuts to the window. I've found all sorts of little side projects on the ToDo list. Now it's time to either dust the garage shelves or install the window! I've read some very helpful threads on trimming the window and shaping the cutout for the forward spar pin. Once I get the window sitting in position, I'm confident the rest of the installation will go without a hitch. I'm struggling with figuring out how much window material to cut away so the window will slide into position.

The first photo shows the window needs to move aft about 1" The arrow in the second photo shows where the "as delivered" window presses against the airframe near the forward carry through tube. I need to cut away material where the arrow points but can't decide how much. The wing root faring covers this area and, once the window is in position, it will be obvious how much material can be cut away.

When installed, does the window curve fairly snugly around the carry through tube? If that's the case, perhaps I can remove as much as an inch of material in the arrow area. Does anyone remember about how thick the strip of waste material was after cutting this vertical part of the window.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl. A few pics of my windshield install. Others may have some closer photos. A little hard to see exactly where the edges are due to the protective film still on the acrylic.

59A9011A-F473-43A6-8D0C-4CC585F147A0.jpg

669F9C16-37D4-43F9-A03E-DE733B96787A.jpg

0A890E8C-ACBA-43B5-AC44-9866DC7988D2.jpg

00A98941-1947-4062-8B9E-AA4B157407B5.jpg
    Marked the trim to line with a sharpie.
    Used a mini belt sander to gradually remove acrylic to trim line for final fit.
    Worked great. Hand sanded final edge with fine grit sandpaper to remove any nicks.
    5FFE8B17-913C-4D89-8A3F-45FA97F96EF3.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I probably removed a 1/2", but it was not uniform up and down that vertical section. I too used a sander at the end. I had mine on an off about 12 times and would remove a 1/16" at a time from the bottom edges at the end. I did not need to do any trimming on the back of mine. Just shaved those vertical pieces until the back lined up. At that point, the front of the windshield touched the boot cowl perfectly. If I had taken any more off of the bottom of the windshield, there would have been a space between it and the boot cowl = not good.

I also bolted in my boot cowl each time. I opted for anchor nuts to secure it to the firewall. Having it fully bolted in made a difference in fit.

My advice, start with a 1/4" and watch how the fit changes. Aviator79 has nice pics in his thread too (factory pic) of how to cut those top corners to give access to the bolts for the wings. I just copied that.

Thank you both for the pictures and comments. It's a very snug fit where the windshield touches the top of the vertical section while positioning to mark for trimming. Just the sort of situation where a little more, a little more, then "Crack!". But, from your comments, the only trimming done to this vertical section is to remove material from the aft side till the back lines up.

Just to be certain I'm reading the manual correctly, the windshield is fitted over the outside of the vertical sections to be marked for trimming - correct?

Aviator79 may have originally posted this photo of trimming the carry through area but I came across it on another thread. Hopefully mine will come out this nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Yes that is the pic!

Windshield fits inside the vertical channels. Order of operations could be to fit it on first, trim as you see in that pic first on each side.

When it is on you will notice that the rear is far from flush with the aluminum bracket attached to the tube. That means cut the vertical sides of the windshield. An inch short in the rear though does not translate to an inch coming off of the vertical sides. The vertical sides end up being pie cut (relative to the original side) I guess is the best way to describe it.

I'll put mine back on today and send some pics in email maybe.

EDIT: yes you could fit it over the outside to mark it for trimming. I did not do that. I took 1/4" off the whole side on each side, then put it back on, attached boot cowl, then checked the back. Removed and trimmed more. Definitely something to sneak up on through multiple passes.

I'll take the slow and cautious approach with the windshield always inside the vertical section of the airframe. It will be easy to see where trimming is required from inside the cockpit. Thanks for the tips.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I guess I lucked out. I whacked off my piece all at once after laying it over the outside and marking it. When I installed it I found that the welds on the inside of the airframe kept me from sliding it back. So, I had to sand the windscreen a bit more to fit it correctly. As for the cross tube trimming, Brian got his much closer to the tube than I did but fortunately its coverd by the wing root cuff panel.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I trimmed the windshield like a little old lady. First worked on getting the top part of the vertical sides trimmed so the rear of the windshield would rest even with the back edge of the skylight angle. These trims were along a line drawn from a point from 1/4" - 1/8" at the top of the vertical to a point about midway down the vertical part of the windshield. It took multiple cuts to finally line up with the skylight angle. When you're working on this, you'll notice there is a "curled lip" in the "glass" where the windshield touches the top of the vertical air frame section. At first I was tempted to trim this curl away during the initial fitting. Don't! When fitting the windshield, this curl neatly seals that area.

I wasn't trying to make the overall windshield fit during this skylight phase. Once the skylight angle was matched up, the top part of the vertical fit but the lower part of the windshield still need trimming. If you stood at the side of the airplane, the top of the windshield was in place but the lower section stuck out too far towards the nose. This is where I went into timid, little ol' lady mode and started cutting thin pie shaped pieces from the vertical edge. The point of the pie was the top corner of the vertical part of the windshield. This part fit and didn't need to have more material removed. The wide part of the pie removed 1/8" the later 1/16" from the bottom part of the vertical edge. When I was fitting the top part of the windshield, the cuts only went about half way down the vertical section of the windshield and the long, top to bottom line wasn't straight. The first long cut corrected this problem and the windshield fit much more neatly in place. After each pie was cut away, the windshield and front part of the boot cowl were installed. At first the rear of the boot cowl will not line up correctly with the air frame. When you start getting close with multiple pie shaped trims, you are certain to press the rear of the boot cowl and discover everything shifts into place. What you have likely done is shift the windshield forward to create a gap at the top of the vertical section and mess up the skylight angle. Just continue patiently taking away thin pie cuts and you'll eventually get a perfect fit. Don't get exasperated and decide a 1/4" cut will speed up the process. A 1/16" cut results in a more than 1/16" move of the boot cowl.

This description will sound hopelessly confusing until you get to the windshield installation. Hopefully it will be some help to people at that stage of the project. I'm sure there are several ways to do this marking and trimming. Including the factory recommendation of fitting the windshield over the outside the air frame, making a mark, and doing a single cut. It would have put a lot of pressure on my windshield to force it over the air frame so I took a couple of days with this approach.

If I were a first time buyer and had the opportunity to visit the factory, I would spend a few minutes congratulating Brandon on his beautiful work with the wings. Then I would ask to meet the guy who fits the cowling and windshield and spend a lot of time trying to learn his techniques!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

If I read it correctly Carl, I would caution against having any part of the windshield contact the cross tube. Especially with the signifcant angles that are involved at that juncture. My concern would be that the windscreen would be limited from expansion. When I park my plane after flying as I did today, the sun rapidly starts working on that plexi and acrylic and expanding it. Almost reminds you of a bowl of rice cripsies with milk. Im exagerating. But it is obvious that this stuff should be given all respect due when it comes to drilling your holes oversized as instructed. Then smooth all the drilled holes. But then again, I damaged my windshield at said juncture while believing I could drill the metal airframe without pulling through to the windshield that I had nearly installed. I was wrong, snapped off the top edge. I used scrap acrylic that I had from this part and it shared the same countour so I glued the piece back on and used the scrap to back it all up. E-6000 adhesive is working really well. Anhow, what I mean is, maybe this stuff isn't as fragile as one might think. I also installed, removed and reinstalled that thing using two hands supporting it from underneath, at least 20 times. It stayed to gether. Im thinking you dont have it actually touching for chaffing reasons anyhow, but thought I would bring it up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X