Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

You know, you may have saved yourself from having to install a rudder stop modification as I did. I had set my angles prior to cover as well. Then, after covering, the fabric ate up that gap between the rudder and the vertical tail. To add the gap back in you have to spin the rod end bearing out a bit further. This increased the swing of the rudder since it was now slightly farther from the rudder stop. I had to drill and tap a hole in the flange on the rudder so I could install a couple of AN3 bolts and jam nuts so that I could adjust the swing of the rudder. So, if your swing is too great there is always a way out.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'll check the rudder gap one more time, using my handy-dandy bent paper clip measuring gauges. Installed those adjustment bolts before covering so I'll eventually get the angle correct. Realized I needed to slow down, install the elevator, and get everything right rather than just trying to measure some angles off the garage floor.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Big day today. The plane moved to the hanger and the Registration Certificate arrived in the mail. It's very odd to walk out in the garage and see empty space. Still lots of clutter on the shelves but there is a big hole were a Kitfox used to be!

The rod ends were removed from the lift struts for painting. I had good intentions but honestly cannot remember if I labeled them and carefully kept the nuts in place for re installation. And everything is at the hanger. I've flipped through the online manual at the new Kitfox site but don't see where the lengths of these rod ends were set. Does anyone remember offhand? If would be great to find the question answered over morning coffee.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hi Carl

Check page 14 of wing assembly. 1/4 inch is what I believe you're looking for.

Rick

Thanks Rick. That was all I came across but thought there might be an adjustment somewhere during the rigging. A silly thing to ask but I was tired of reading and anxious to get the wings and tail feathers mounted.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I always admired the fox image John Evens' plane has on the vertical stabilizer. I asked contacted John and he kindly gave the go ahead.

Making daily trips to the hanger and the list of, "Oh man, I don't have" tools is getting shorter as things come together. Only a twenty minute drive and the weather is perfect for hanger work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Looking good Carl - keep it up!!

Finally, the turtle deck. Reviewing the instructions, the manual says, "...rivet the strakes to the turtledeck." I don't see any mention of anything like an aluminum strip on the back side of the turtle deck plastic. Are the pop rivets actually pulled against the plastic or am I missing something?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl, I haven’t installed those on my factory turtle deck yet but when/if I do I will use thin aluminum rivet backing washers to dissipate the pulling pressures from the pop rivets. You can always touch the rivet tails and backing washers with a little black paint to make them less conspicuous after install.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have enough of those thin washers left from some other part of the project. Nice idea to use them. I'll probably still cringe at each "pop".
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X