Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Nice work Carl! Well done and all best for the great adventures that lie ahead for you.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Still no first flight but oh so close. Recovering from this winter's freeze damage, followed by prepping and planting our very large vegetable garden took weeks. Finally got back to final assembly of the plane, bought liability insurance, and arranged flight instruction. I'm a very rusty pilot. The 168 hours of taildragger time helped with insurance but they were flow years ago. Recently a CFI friend and I spent a few days with his Stinson so my bi-annual is complete. But I want to be very comfortable in a Kitfox before my first take off on a grass strip with trees on either side. There will already be enough adrenalin from realizing the plane I built is actually rolling down the runway with every intention of flying. The CFI with the Kitfox is about a three hour drive away. Both Debra and John McBean commented he was a great guy to fly with. I just need to ignore the urgency of making the first flight and remember there are months of pretty weather ahead.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Congrats!!! Soon!!!

Seems silly to have a certified plane sitting in a hanger for weeks without flying but cleanup from the hard freeze and the normal Spring planting and gardening chores chew up a lot of time. This weekend I start the first of a few trips to an FBO in Dallas that teaches "taildragger" in a Kitfox. Three hour drive over, two ~1.5 hour flights with a break between, and a three hour drive back. I'm assuming ten hours and a whole lot of landings to shake off the rust and get comfortable with the Kitfox.

Still a few odds and ends to reassemble the plane. Of course, they're taking more time than expected. Todays list included installing the wing root fairings. Looked at the instructions and realized the wings would have to be partially folded to install a nut plate. That task will require a helper so moved to installing the brushes to seal the trim slot. Little things like that are keeping me busy between training flights.

The #4 cylinder EGT probe seem to be intermittent. I get a temp reading on the Garmin but a Lane light periodically turns on and Garmin says Cyl #4 EGT failure. Nothing obvious with the probe so I'm assuming a sharp bend in the factory wiring created the problem. Hopefully a new probe will solve the situation. I really don't need a Lane light turning on during the first flight. I find Alcor probes readily enough but have found anything that looks compatible with the 912iS EGT harness plug. Any suggestions or sources? I posted the same question to a thread in "Engines"
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Getting close Carl! Yeah I agree you want the minimum amount of distractions for the first flight like a egts giving you faulty readings. I took the suggestion of Scott and made my wing root covering out of left over laker leading edge. Covered it with Oratex and installed with Velcro.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Using the Laker and Velco is a great solution but that material is long gone.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Yeah that freeze was crazy here too. I am so tired of fixing broken pipes and cutting down dead palm trees.

What is the name of the flight school in Dallas with a Kitfox? I am going to have to pay them a visit as well.

Finally got to fly in a Kitfox and boy am I rusty. First, for anyone in the DFW area, John Halterman at North Texas Regional in Denison is highly recommended. His Kitfox is a taildragger, 912iS, with Whirlwind prop - just what I needed. Won't bore with details but a fixed pitch prop, a high revving engine, and a light plane with very responsive control surfaces kept me busy. Very happy with the decision to get some hours in a Kitfox with an instructor before my first flight.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Prudent decision Carl. Be ready for an even sportier performing aircraft on your first flight without the other seat filled. Your Kitfox will be flying sooner than you might expect solo. Set trim correctly so when it gets airborne the nose does not raise to an exciting angle of attack at rotation. A 300 foot or so take off run would not be surprising with pilot and half full tanks. Keep us posted.
    Best of luck on first flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great to hear Carl. Won't be long now! I was thinking the same thing as Steve as I read your post. I trimmed as the book suggests and found that the plane wanted to climb while leaving me behind. I trim to take the pressures off before I touch the flaps. When the flaps are reduced it will nose up significantly (far more evident) while solo. Just have that fact in your mind on first flight. Have fun.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X