Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Nice to work on something as straightforward as mounting the radiator and oil cooler. The lower cowling had to go on and off several times to find the correct placement of the radiator. Strapping tape held until the radiator bumped something and was jarred loose. Once the radiator was hanging from the two vertical straps, I measured from the lower front of the firewall to the radiator, removed the cowling, and used that measurement to form the middle support strap. Just to be sure before riveting, the mount was double checked by putting the cowling back in place. Happy with the final fit.

I wish I had kept a count of how many time the cowling has been on and off. All of this practice makes it fairly routine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Expect to get even better at cowling installing and removing Carl.😀
    When the exhaust pipe goes on and the prop is installed it gets less routine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I've been meaning to work on the possible abrasion between the aluminum fuel line and the motor mount. The self amalgamating tape (you know, it sticks to itself and forms a nice blob) will be wrapped around both tubes and they will be secured with a stainless wire wrap.

I happen to notice the washer between the fuel fitting and filter is, as best as I can describe, "out of place". It still appears to be nicely circular so I don't think I tightened to the point of distorting it. It's been quite awhile since I worked on the fuel system. Are there different sized washers and I just used the wrong one at this fitting? I haven't found any extra washers and have no clue what size the right one might be. I'll be studying that part of the manual but wonder if any of you might have an idea what might have happened. Can I remove the fitting and find a suitable washer at a hydraulic shop perhaps? Or is this clearly the wrong sized washer and the right one is in a Kitfox bag somewhere? Of course, that begs the question, where was this one supposed to go?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

That looks like it is a copper crush gasket and possibly too big. They come in incremental sizes and you would need one that just goes over the threads of the blue fitting.

I am not familiar with that filter but am wondering if it really needs an O-ring instead of the copper gasket. The blue AN fitting is sized to have an O-ring at the shoulder, but the filter would need a chamfered face to work properly with it.

IMO your fuel line is too close to the engine mount. If it was me I would secure it with an adel clamp so there is no chance of it rubbing on the engine mount.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for the suggestions Phil. I'm in the process of securing the fuel line. It won't be hanging out like that.

Found a second fine fuel filter that was delivered with the kit. It has these crush washers in the box. I decided the obviously smart thing to do was contact Kitfox and ask what is required for these fittings. That particular page of my manual is poorly reproduced with a tiny picture for the details of this assembly. I'll post their answer.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl, just my opinion, I would for sure change that crush washer. The filter and manifold gets less and less accessible as you continue to hook up the engine lines/wires. When I did my first pressure test on the fuel system I had a leak at one of these crush washers, that looked centered and correct but had a nick in the face I did not notice when installing. While the filter can be removed later its tricky and I personally want to limit having to do this to when the filter needs to be changed.

Thanks for the reply.

There are two sizes of crush washers in the box with the Rotax fine fuel filter. I hadn't noticed and installed the wrong one at that fitting. Replaced it yesterday, before starting on the tangle of water and oil hoses. Printed out your pictures from the other thread and have them laying on the work bench. Need to go shopping for the correct insulation materials and sleeves.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Very helpful thread discussing routing the various oil and coolant hoses for the 912iS

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...iS-(left-side)
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I starting to think about what color to paint the cowlings, wing tips, etc. I thought there were simple line drawings on the Kitfox site that I could pull into Photoshop and play with but can't find them. Can someone point me to a file with simple drawings?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl

On the Kitfox LLC site click on the Technical FAQ page and click on the "paint templates" on the left side. The different models are then listed under the picture.

Rick
    Last edited by bumsteer; 10-13-2019 at 06:41 AM.