Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    We are not talking heat from the sun warming up the wings, we are talking heat from the engine. I would to be worried about the wings if the wings where seeing heats as hot as the engine cowl where seeing. I can assure you the fiberglass on my cowl has seen more than 200f when the cherry red turbo is inches away. I am just passing on info that others have warned me about using hysol to bond the naca scoop. A friend had his come loose after awhile of flying. Using the same stuff the part is made out to "bond" it is a better option I think. I would just take a couple strips of fiberglass and lay over the edges to insure it doesn't separate down the road like others have had. It would take a couple mins to do.
    Hi Dustin,

Point taken, but I respectfully suggest that the mating surfaces may not have been cleaned and roughed up properly for a good bond the first time. Again, the Hysol has a higher temperature rating than polyester resins used with fiberglass. As far as "using the same stuff the part is made out of" being a better option goes, it is well known that epoxy resin in general is much stronger than polyester resin for fiberglass repair work. There is a wealth of info about that available on the web. Just one quote I found with a quick search -

"Polyester resin is excellent for fiberglass lay-up — building a boat, for example. ... As a general rule, the tensile strength of a polyester bond will be around 20 percent weaker than the same bond made with epoxy. That makes epoxy resin usually the best choice for fiberglass repair work."

It would be good to add strips of cloth, &/or rivets if desired, but there is no question that the epoxy will be stronger than polyester. Again, I submit that the original bonded surfaces may not have been prepared properly, and after failure I'm sure that there was some serious cleaning, sanding, etc. done to remove the epoxy, probably leaving a good surface for the polyester resin, or epoxy for that matter, to be used. I don't mean to beat a dead horse nor be disrespectful, but I don't want people to incorrectly think that Hysol 9460 is not a good adhesive to use for this purpose. Like so many things done in building an airplane, it must be done properly for best results.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I think the number of these joints failing has been very few compared to the many of us who have not had a problem withe the Hysol joint. My friend Scott Noble's failure was the first I personally ever heard of.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The cowl pieces were first match drilled with something on the order of a #30, then the holes were enlarged. In places like the boot cowl arch, the three holes - one metal and two glass didn't line up perfectly. During one of the final fittings, it sunk in that the holes "revealing" the Cam Lock socket could be enlarged for easier assembly. Only the top piece of cowling shows so who cares if the other hole is a little "relaxed". Apparently I'm a slow learner.

One picture shows the top cowl in place for the final adjustment of the Cam Lock sockets. Everything is screwed down properly and, after a bit of reaching into tight places, the "nail" was removed and sockets are locked in place. The other picture shows the complete cowling assembly locked in place. I do have some waviness along the seam of the upper and lower cowling but I'm happy enough with the fit. After all, this is a 100 kt puddle jumping, smile generator that flies off grass strips and spends a lot of time below 1000'. Definitely not a show plane. Still have a bit of fairing to do around the nose but that will have to wait till paint time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Nice, Carl. Looks like it is coming along well for you.

It's been quite awhile since my last update. Like all ToDo lists, especially near the end of a project, new items are being added as quickly as older ones are completed. Some are hardly worth writing down but I don't want to rely on memory at this point. Especially items that would cause problems during inspection, such as the bell crank inspection port on the belly that I never got around to installing. The DAR specifically said he wants to be able to touch every lock nut. Hasn't seemed worth posting news of jobs like sanding the plastic airfoils on the lift struts or going through a third application of fairing compound, with the subsequent wait, to nicely shape the ends.

One of today's jobs is worth describing - the firewall sealant for the boot cowl. I want a removable boot cowl and folks suggested using a release agent while the sealant was curing. I used 3M's Firestop Sealant. This is a silicone based product that's relatively easy to work with. I tested a couple of ideas for a release agent and settled on lining the inside of the boot cowl with 1 1/2" "green" masking tape and smearing a generous layer of Vasoline. While playing, I laid a couple of strips of 1/2" blue masking tape on the bare test metal before shooting a bead of the sealant across them. After twelve hours, pulling on the tape neatly cut the sealant. Before shooting sealant on the firewall metal, I covered each of the CamLoc sockets with a strip of the blue tape. Hopefully the boot cowl will come off neatly tomorrow afternoon, the blue tape will cut neatly, and I can work on any areas of sealant that didn't make contact as well as lay circles around the exposed CamLocs.

I dry mounted the boot cowl to make certain everything was on hand before spreading sealant. It's the first time the cowl has been on the plane with the NACA cabin vent scoops. Surprise, one small electrical box sits neatly in the way of the vent hose. Not a big deal but does add another task to the list.

Getting close enough that I've been working through AOPA's Rusty Pilot videos and have lined up an instructor friend to put me through a few hours of dual before a biannual. A flight school over in Dallas uses a Kitfox for tail wheel training. I already have gobs of tail wheel time but it's a great opportunity to fly someone else's Kitfox before taking off in my baby for the first time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Great to hear Carl. Wont be long now.
    question. The blue plug in your break fluid reservoir, does it have a vent hole in it? I think I have one of those but I used the red plastic plug that the reservoir had with it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Congrats Carl. The finish line is very near.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looks good!!!

Looks great! When one man is finishing another is starting! Wanted to say thank you for your build log It will help all of us with our builds!
    Instagram- N985MK

Kitfox S7 STI - Building...Hope to be flying Fall 2023!

Eddie, that blue plug in the brake fluid reservoir has a 0.040 hole through the center - measured with the smallest bit in my drill index. The plug must have come with the hole because I'm certainly not delicate enough to drill something that tiny, even with a dozen backup bits!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X