Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Carl,

The Kitfox is on the FAA approved 51% kit list. Your DAR shouldn't have had to send you that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Sorry for any confusion. The plane has not been inspected. I'm just at the stage were my initial paperwork requesting inspection has been submitted to the FAA and an inspection will soon follow. I don't expect there will be any problems with the inspection. What triggered the detailed FAA Eligibility Statement form was my listing that I had used "professional" help during the build. Really not a bit deal and I found it all to typical that a government evaluation would count building a wing equivalent to drilling a hole through a control stick and inserting a bolt.

I had the pleasure of meeting this DAR at a presentation he gave to an area EAA group a few months ago. Very nice guy and I'm delighted to have him inspecting my project. I am very sure he will do a very complete inspection. He and I both want to insure that I've built a safe plane and I haven't missed any cotter pins, safety nuts and so forth. From memory, during his presentation he said he has inspected around 975 planes and hopes to do 1000 before "retiring".
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I'm working with small projects while waiting for inspection. One of today's job was polishing the trim cuts on the turtle deck. No rush to actually install until the inspection is complete but I realized that I had completely forgotten about the strakes and, after holding one in position, am wondering what purpose they serve. Do they cut down on buffeting around the wing root or just visually fill a gap?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I think they may help keep rain out at the flaperon control penetration. There may be some aerodynamic benefit. Also, looks?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, I think it was your build where I noticed the acrylic pieces closing the flapperon tubing cutout. I'll work on something like that as well.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I would have thought that having the strakes installed and having the Kitfox cover on, I would not have rain get in. Rain got in. Ruined my Rotax manual and three paper VFR charts. I aim to do as Carl just stated. I really liked Johns as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

This is a very easy and effective way to block the flaperon slots in the turtle deck. Its 3/16" thick closed cell foam rubber attached to the turtle deck with contact cement. The slit in the rubber allows it to slide over the tube when removing or installing the turtle deck. Not as elegant as John's but actually looks quite good.
    244.jpg
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I haven’t had any rain get in, but Jim’s definitely seals better than what I did. I’ve also seen others do a much better job than I did, with similar ideas that were more closely fitted. The strakes probably help some though, especially on the ground if the wind isn’t blowing a hard rain directly at the opening. My idea was an afterthought after I had already cut slots and then thought of the hinged turtle deck idea.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

That looks really nice Jim. You did a very clean job with the contact cement. Looks like the same foam for the grommets where the screw plates are located. That same idea might form a nice gasket between the boot cowling and the windshield.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Noticed this description on one of Neoprene products sold on Amazon,

• Closed-cell Neoprene Sponge Foam Sheet Roll sheet absorbs impact EMPOWERING the AVERAGE AMERICAN with little to no experience in repair to create PROFESSIONAL set-ups for sealing. It is made to take a beating!

Reviewers also complained about being shorted on both length and width with divots in the surface. I think this average American will keep looking.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X