Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default First, Build a Shed

March 9, 2016 was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. I had placed an order for as S7 kit. The deposit had been paid and funds were set aside for the balance. The tentative delivery date was towards the end of April. On this day I had to send an email to Debra McBean admitting my garage to workshop conversion would not be completed and I needed to postpone delivery by a month. Of course, Mary took it all in stride, gave me a late May estimate, and some lucky builder received their kit earlier than expected.

I determinedly mow my own lawn and we maintain our own landscaping. Equipment, bags and jugs of chemicals, and assorted junk built up over the years so the first step was to build a shed to de-clutter the garage. The simple shed turned into four weeks of wheel barrowing two yards of crushed limestone, framing, roofing, bending nails, and hanging sturdy doors. Completed, the 8 x 12 shed was quickly filled leaving a nice empty space in the garage.

It gets hot here in the Piney Woods of north east Texas and, with triple garage doors facing West and no hint of insulation in the attic above the garage, it would be miserable working in the garage in the summer and not too comfortable in the winter. So the next project started. First tear down perfectly good sheetrock, rip up the attic floor decking above the garage, hang new lights, insulate the garage doors, and install new electrical outlets. Then hand the project over to trusted contractors to insulate the walls and ceiling with closed cell foam, sheetrock and paint (including the new foot sized hole I put in the ceiling), and install a mini-split A/C unit. As they worked I build a few rolling shop tables and re-decked the attic floor.

After almost three months of work I now have a comfortable place to build. The pile of left over lumber will be used for wing and fuselage rotisseries. This simple task will be the official start of the build and I'll start tracking hours. Once completed, I'll be anxiously waiting for the trailer!

These forums are great for both information and motivation. I'll try to maintain this build thread through the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Happy anticipation! Let us know when you get your KF.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Very nice looking shed.

I read this hoping you weren't going to say you would build your plane in there…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

You have way more patience than me. I would have rented a mini storage or order a Tuff Shed and have it dropped in the yard the next day

Carl,
    Having previously lived in the DFW area for 10 years (and being married to a native Texan so we visit there often), all I have to say is your obviously a smart man. I see a nice Kitfox coming forth from that garage. (Nice bike by the way.)
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Very nice looking shed.

I read this hoping you weren't going to say you would build your plane in there…
    I had the same thought.

Your garage looks like a nice work space though. Much more spacious than my tiny 20X20. I take my hat off to the guys who do it in a one car garage. I would have never believed that was possible.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

That bike may turn into a rotax engine, LOL

It is a nice amount of room but the clutter of construction hasn't started. At some point my wife may have to chalk a "Do Not Cross" line to preserve the space for her Explorer.

The bike is a Triumph Bonneville, the model I lusted after when putting around on a Honda 350 in the early 70s.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I was pretty pleased that my major "getting ready" projects were completed just a few weeks before the estimated delivery date. Then those imps, who just can't stand for everything to fall neatly into place, raised their ugly heads. The Kitfox factory received a batch of spars that weren't up to their high standards so my delivery date has been pushed out a few weeks. As I commented to Debra, I truly appreciate their commitment to quality and the wait won't be that long.

Meanwhile, part of the pile of lumber was turned into rotisseries for the wings. The 1 1/2" PVC pipes are waiting until they can be matched with the spacing of the spars.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I still need a rotisserie for the fuselage and like this very attractive design from Kebopa3's build thread. I have not found dimensions of the fuselage online and am hoping someone can provide approximate measurements after looking at his stand. If I have the general height of his nose and tail supports and an estimated length between them, I can build the basic stand then complete the final assembly when the kit arrives.

Kebopa3 hasn't been active on the site for several months so I haven't tried messaging him directly. I though about a "Fuselage Dimension" thread but am leaning towards documenting a complete build on this thread. Admittedly that seems awfully ambitious for a guy who doesn't even have a kit yet. But having a group of friends watching over my shoulder will be great motivation.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X