Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Tracstarr, that's a nice website you've put together to document the build with a great collection of photos. What a shop! The picture on the first page is perfect and I noticed a small boy (?) sitting in one of your fuselage shots.

Nice to hear the flattening agent worked for you. I've been reading car forums on painting with flattened paint. Most of them are trying to duplicate a perfect matte finish and end up with a streaky mess. One advantage to painting a plane, or parts of it, is the guys at the paint shop want to hear about your project and will take time to talk about the paint process. You're not just another guy trying to match the paint on his Camero. A downside to being a total noob is how much they assume you know about the painting process. I'm sure there is a YouTube series that will walk me through the process.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Thanks for the kind words re the site. Sorry it's vastly out of date. I just don't have time to keep it updated! I'm going to try and at least add more photos this weekend as part of my process of getting back to my build - which I've not done much on for almost 2 months now. I'll make sure to add my cowling with paint job before and after for you.

Whoops. Yeah, I shouldn't have posted his pic. Thanks for catching that! It's my son. His name is Fox (no relation to kit). He's super excited about it as any kid would be!

Yeah. Paint. The guy at the shop here was a great help. But it also helped that I have a friend that's done a lot of airplane parts painting and I was able to use his booth and gun - so both were high quality. That said, he assured me it's more about the prep than anything else. And not being afraid to screw up.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Has anyone put a few rivets in the naca duck in the cowl or am I over thinking the vibration issues?

I just did Hysol and held it in place with Clecos. The excess Hysol, that squeezed out of the joint, was smoothed over the seam. I'm sure I used more Hysol than needed and it's a very secure bond.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I really liked the fuel valves Bruce aka "airlina" showed on Eddie's (EFWD Build) Thread - https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...lves#post87681

Happily Bruce had the old receipt and the company still makes these valves. Pictured are the Dwyer Instruments Mini Brass Ball Valve - Lever Handle, 3/8" (MVB-LF3). Stops the wings from self leveling when parked on an uneven surface and, as Bruce says, "peeing fuel from their vent tubes with nobody around." Also nice when working on the fuel system.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Va...anual/SeriesMV

A pleasant evening's job and another item scratched off the list
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl I know it says it in the instructions to use hysol, but they should take that out. I highly recommend fiberglass resign and some strips of fiberglass to keep the naca from coming off. Hysol fails when it gets hot and you may loose that naca vent. There has been a couple that warned me not to use hysol. Scott Noble had his come off in flight😬
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I believe that IF the bonded surfaces are prepared properly the Hysol is plenty strong - stronger than fiberglass resin. If Hysol 9460 fails when it gets hot (how hot is “hot”?) then I think I’d be real worried about those wings on the black colored birds. It has a temperature limit of 250 deg. F. I believe that fiberglass resins have a limit of somewhere around 180 - 200 deg. F. I’ll take a guess & say that the majority of those parts are glued with Hysol on Kitfox aircraft. Just my opinion.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

We are not talking heat from the sun warming up the wings, we are talking heat from the engine. I would to be worried about the wings if the wings where seeing heats as hot as the engine cowl where seeing. I can assure you the fiberglass on my cowl has seen more than 200f when the cherry red turbo is inches away. I am just passing on info that others have warned me about using hysol to bond the naca scoop. A friend had his come loose after awhile of flying. Using the same stuff the part is made out to "bond" it is a better option I think. I would just take a couple strips of fiberglass and lay over the edges to insure it doesn't separate down the road like others have had. It would take a couple mins to do.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for the comments. It would be simple to bond a couple of strips of 3" glass roving over the edges and I have the materials on hand. I am a big fan of West System products. Just filled out their help form asking what temperature there might be bonding failure. I used Thermo Shield adhesive strips around the radiator hoses when they passed near the exhaust system. Might be prudent to lay a couple of strips over the bond.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I do not see why a couple of flush rivets would not do the job if there is a concern of the naca joint failing.