Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Just revisited Tropical Tuba's excellent series of photos documenting his build. Seeing how he did the fitting and faring of the cowling over a long period relieved some of the pressure of getting it done all at once. Until it's painted, it's just fiberglass. All you need are cloth, West Epoxy, Superfil, sandpaper, and curing time.

Tuba's photos have been a great resource during the build - http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox.htm

Man, it's fun to be back working on the project!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Awe, I had written a long reply to Joe and then deleted it as I felt it was too wordy. But there in lies a variable that did impact my final fit. No, I did not fit the windscreen first. I don't have a great deal of recall on what the manual said but I believe that once the windscreen was placed into the equation, I may have had some changes take place with regard to the final fit of the cowl. I can tell you that I did mess up and drilled for and installed the fasteners into the firewall flange prematurely. I relied on the slight flex you can impart on the firewall to get the windscreen installed tight against the boot cowl. That may have placed things slightly different from where I had everything taped up and secured when I trimmed the fiberglass engine cowls. In the end It is good but no longer as great as I believe I once had it. I wish I had something significant to share that might ensure a great fit but at this point all I can say is don't drill and install things prematurely. I also find that the spring loaded fasteners are not bolts or screws and they allow a little slippage to occur where as strapping tape is pretty ridged once put in place. When I install my cowls everything lines up pretty good but then I give a little push down on the leading edge of the cowl as would happen with g forces. That is when I get that 1/4" or so of droop behind my spinner. Thankfully it should be easy enough to support the cowl from inside when I chose to fix it.

P.S. See, kinda wordy.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not sure if this helps Carl, but with the help of a friend, we fitted the boot cowl, windshield and coaming panel as one fitup. The positioning of the boot cowl and it’s trimming meant I needed to have the wind shield in place at the same time. Once they were match trimmed and drilled, the coaming panel was next up. I had the instrument panel in place for all this. The trickiest part of fitting the coaming panel for me was the cutout for the cross tubes where they intersect . That was a pain. My resulting cutout is, shall we say, ungracious. Ie it’s too big. I would suggest read that part of the Manual relating to this whole area 3 times so it’s ingrained. Then start the job with help from someone else to push and shove things into place. When you stand back and see this whole area buttoned up, its very satisfying because it’s starting to really look like a KF.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thanks for the tips David. I will follow your lead and thinking of the boot cowl, coaming, and windshield as one unit. There are sure to be some good forum posts on the process as well.

Yesterday I completed the electrical wiring for the 912 iS. It was nice to check that work off the list and getting those harnesses in place and secured cleaned up the engine area.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I thought the engine wiring was complete. Then, while doing the first fitting of the cowling, I noticed this little gadget that I'd tucked out of the way on the engine. I don't see it mentioned in the 912iS Firewall Forward manual. If someone will give me a clue, it would simplify digging through the oh so complete Rotax manual.

Sorry about the incorrect focus.

20190713_194746.jpg
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

It’s a static air sensor. I mounted it to the engine mount with an adel clamp on the right side out of the way.

John

Yeh, it is supposed to measure intake air temp so putting it in the vicinity of the air filter is suggested. I wire tied mine to the engine mount with the silicone tape around the tube.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks for the explanation guys.

How's you build going John?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Build is complete. Airworthiness certificate in March. She was ready to fly for a couple of months before I was. It took me a few weeks to get my tailwheel endorsement. I’ve got about 10 hours on her now. It’s a blast. I’m working my way through the test cards. As you know, early morning flights before it gets too warm and turbulent.

John

Congratulations! That's a very big deal. I'm really looking forward to getting this project done.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X