Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    ................on the console slots but I need to come up with some way to prevent scratching during normal use. Haven't found that solution in the forums yet...........
    Carl,

I don't like things rattling or scratching around either......found a simple solution was to place a length of the 1/2" sticky backed anti chafe tape from the polyfiber materials on the inside of the detent plates so the flap handle could smoothly slide along that instead of having any metal to metal contact.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

While we are on the subject of flap handles & rudder adjustment, thought I'd share an experience I had.

PLEASE REMEMBER - THIS WAS A PRE JOHN MCBEAN FUSELAGE I HA
    D - MADE BY THE DEFUNCT SKYSTAR CORP JUST BEFORE THEY FILED BANKRUPCY.

Had an opportunity to sharpen my gas welding skills where the rudder adjustment anchors had been mostly cut through during the assembly weld. Attached photo - notice that the small dark area along the inside edge is all that held the side to the base of anchor. The side part dropped off with a little "plink" when I pressed on it with my finger. A little hot wrenching with the gas torch/4130 rod, painting and good to go. If anyone picks up an earlier started kit to finish, might be a good point to check.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave, thanks for the suggestion of using the 1/2" sticky back, anti-chafe tape. I'll give that a try.

Doug, I have to give credit for being "meticulous" to the builders who posted ideas and solutions as they worked through their projects. The initial rudder pedal drag wasn't terrible and, honestly, I'm not sure I would have given it a second thought if others had not discussed it.

A lot of my confidence in taking on this project and my expectation of building a really nice plane, comes from the knowledge base and helpfulness of people in this forum. Of course, starting with a well thought out, very complete kit, and having factory support just a phone call away doesn't hurt.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Amen Carl. John and everyone here are very nice to have around.

Things slowed down at the "Airfoiled Vertical Tail Assembly" stage. After doing the horizontal ribs, there isn't really anything new here but the work went in small bursts with lots of idle time to catch up household chores while waiting for epoxy to cure. The ribs required very little trimming and the kit included more than enough strips for the rib stabilizers.

Rotating the fuselage 90 degrees on the rotisserie made the varnishing more convenient. I try not to load the brush but the thin varnish, foam brushes, and odd surfaces that grab and wring out a stream of varnish, make for an unattractive job. This time I taped the metal tubing around the ribs so it's a neater job than the horizontal ribs. Maybe I'll have the technique down when it comes to wing ribs.

I've been thinking about polishing the landing gear and decided to practice with the control sticks. Started with 220 and worked through 1000 grit with sandpaper that was on hand. Finished with the three stages of "BrightWorks" polishing compound. Maybe an hour of work and very pleased with the results.

Used an old dish rag and dish towels to polish and tossed the rags in the washing machine without giving it a second thought. Opened the machine after the load was complete to find a normally bright white drum and agitator smeared with black waxy polishing residue. Called my patient wife for cleaning tips and was handed a box of Mr Clean Magic Erasers. They worked reasonably well but, after she left the room, I grabbed a can of brake cleaning fluid, soaked a rag, and the washer was cleaned with a few wipes. Threw away the waxy rag, remembered to turn the cycle to Hot Water, and ran the towels through another cycle to flush the break fluid. "What dear? Oh, I think you're smelling the polishing compound." Make that my "very" patient wife!

Drilled the lower tabs on the rudder and installed John Pitkin's "adjustable rudder stop bolts". This is a very nifty idea. Next project is the rudder farings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

LOL Carl. The moment I read "tossed the rags in the wash" I new what was to follow. I have done that with shop rags before after changing the oil in the the cars. (speaking specifically of the oder) Surprising that you have made it this long without experiencing what women dislike about us! Im considering doing the same with my gear. I picked up some sample product at Airventure from Nuvite. Nuvitechemical.com. they were polishing very old dingy fuselage skins to nearly a mirror finish.
    Eddie

The lesson learned should be - don't do laundry!

It's a process that I've honed over 25 years. Shrink a sweater here. Bleeding colors there and before you know it you're banned from the laundry room!